Pursue passions for finer friends

I’m horrible at eloquent goodbyes, but I’m great at making points. So if I have a whole column to ramble, let it be to make a point: If there’s one thing I’ve taken away from college, it’s that passions bring people together.

Freshman year, I struggled. I had come from a tiny, geeky high school, and I couldn’t seem to connect with anyone I met in the dorms or my classes. But then I found my way into The Miami Hurricane newsroom at the end of the year, and everything changed.

I’ve always joked that this job stole my soul. Late nights and Sunday deadlines were brutal – there’s no denying it. But The Hurricane has also given me my entire college experience. I learned to lead, edit, write and apply for a job, all with this staff. We took trips, went to happy hours and fought like siblings.

And at the end of the day, they are the ones who have taught me the most over the past four years. I don’t think I believed it until now, but you really can learn the most from your peers.

Devote yourself to something, or many things. Do it not because it will look good on a resume, but because your life would be less full without it.

So that is my advice to anyone who is struggling – find what you love, and friends will follow. Strive for that, because at the end of the day, when it’s only you and your thoughts, the things you did and the people you loved are what you carry with you forever.

Margaux Herrera is a senior majoring in English literature and French. After graduation, she will work in marketing and public relations for Skyscanner in Miami.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...