Pursue passions for finer friends

I’m horrible at eloquent goodbyes, but I’m great at making points. So if I have a whole column to ramble, let it be to make a point: If there’s one thing I’ve taken away from college, it’s that passions bring people together.

Freshman year, I struggled. I had come from a tiny, geeky high school, and I couldn’t seem to connect with anyone I met in the dorms or my classes. But then I found my way into The Miami Hurricane newsroom at the end of the year, and everything changed.

I’ve always joked that this job stole my soul. Late nights and Sunday deadlines were brutal – there’s no denying it. But The Hurricane has also given me my entire college experience. I learned to lead, edit, write and apply for a job, all with this staff. We took trips, went to happy hours and fought like siblings.

And at the end of the day, they are the ones who have taught me the most over the past four years. I don’t think I believed it until now, but you really can learn the most from your peers.

Devote yourself to something, or many things. Do it not because it will look good on a resume, but because your life would be less full without it.

So that is my advice to anyone who is struggling – find what you love, and friends will follow. Strive for that, because at the end of the day, when it’s only you and your thoughts, the things you did and the people you loved are what you carry with you forever.

Margaux Herrera is a senior majoring in English literature and French. After graduation, she will work in marketing and public relations for Skyscanner in Miami.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...