Pursue passions for finer friends

I’m horrible at eloquent goodbyes, but I’m great at making points. So if I have a whole column to ramble, let it be to make a point: If there’s one thing I’ve taken away from college, it’s that passions bring people together.

Freshman year, I struggled. I had come from a tiny, geeky high school, and I couldn’t seem to connect with anyone I met in the dorms or my classes. But then I found my way into The Miami Hurricane newsroom at the end of the year, and everything changed.

I’ve always joked that this job stole my soul. Late nights and Sunday deadlines were brutal – there’s no denying it. But The Hurricane has also given me my entire college experience. I learned to lead, edit, write and apply for a job, all with this staff. We took trips, went to happy hours and fought like siblings.

And at the end of the day, they are the ones who have taught me the most over the past four years. I don’t think I believed it until now, but you really can learn the most from your peers.

Devote yourself to something, or many things. Do it not because it will look good on a resume, but because your life would be less full without it.

So that is my advice to anyone who is struggling – find what you love, and friends will follow. Strive for that, because at the end of the day, when it’s only you and your thoughts, the things you did and the people you loved are what you carry with you forever.

Margaux Herrera is a senior majoring in English literature and French. After graduation, she will work in marketing and public relations for Skyscanner in Miami.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...