News Briefs 4/24

Commencement

Undergraduate students will participate in commencement May 9 in the BankUnited Center. College of Arts and Sciences students will begin to process at 8:30 a.m. 

School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, RSMAS, Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies will process at 12:30 p.m. The School of Business Administration and College of Engineering’s ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Students can pick up their caps and gowns from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 6 to May 8 at the Toppel Career Center.

May 8

Shelton G. “Shelly” Berg, dean of UM’s Frost School of Music, will be delivering the commencement remarks at the Graduate Degree Ceremony at 4 p.m.

May 9

Danielle S. Allen, a political theorist who has published broadly in democratic theory and political sociology, will give advice to graduates and receive an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters at the ceremony for the College of Arts and Sciences at 8:30 a.m.

Sylvia Earle, National Geographic Explorer-In-Residence and marine biologist, will address students and receive an honorary Doctor of Science at the ceremony for the Schools of Architecture, Communication, Education and Human Development, Music, and Nursing and Health Studies and RSMAS will take place at 12:30 p.m. 

Charles E. “Chuck” Cobb, longtime UM trustee, will address the graduates at the 5 p.m. ceremony for the School of Business and College of Engineering. Cobb was a former chair of UM’s Board of Trustees and served as the assistant secretary and undersecretary of the U.S. Department of Commerce. He also served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Iceland.

May 10

The School of Law and Miller School of Medicine will hold their commencement at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., respectively. U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez will give the commencement address.

A Cappella Concert

Student a cappella groups Above the Keys, BisCaydence and Tufaan will be performing in a joint concert at 8 p.m. Sunday in Storer Auditorium. This performance will be the first time the three groups host a concert together.  

Photo courtesy of UM Office of Commencement

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...