News Briefs 4/24

Commencement

Undergraduate students will participate in commencement May 9 in the BankUnited Center. College of Arts and Sciences students will begin to process at 8:30 a.m. 

School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, RSMAS, Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies will process at 12:30 p.m. The School of Business Administration and College of Engineering’s ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Students can pick up their caps and gowns from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 6 to May 8 at the Toppel Career Center.

May 8

Shelton G. “Shelly” Berg, dean of UM’s Frost School of Music, will be delivering the commencement remarks at the Graduate Degree Ceremony at 4 p.m.

May 9

Danielle S. Allen, a political theorist who has published broadly in democratic theory and political sociology, will give advice to graduates and receive an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters at the ceremony for the College of Arts and Sciences at 8:30 a.m.

Sylvia Earle, National Geographic Explorer-In-Residence and marine biologist, will address students and receive an honorary Doctor of Science at the ceremony for the Schools of Architecture, Communication, Education and Human Development, Music, and Nursing and Health Studies and RSMAS will take place at 12:30 p.m. 

Charles E. “Chuck” Cobb, longtime UM trustee, will address the graduates at the 5 p.m. ceremony for the School of Business and College of Engineering. Cobb was a former chair of UM’s Board of Trustees and served as the assistant secretary and undersecretary of the U.S. Department of Commerce. He also served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Iceland.

May 10

The School of Law and Miller School of Medicine will hold their commencement at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., respectively. U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez will give the commencement address.

A Cappella Concert

Student a cappella groups Above the Keys, BisCaydence and Tufaan will be performing in a joint concert at 8 p.m. Sunday in Storer Auditorium. This performance will be the first time the three groups host a concert together.  

Photo courtesy of UM Office of Commencement

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...