Current Spanish classes prove too impractical

In high school, I took French with no practical reason other than that it sounded sexy. When I got to college and found out that I’d need to spend three semesters taking a foreign language, I knew I’d need to have a solid foundation of Spanish if I wanted to get hired anywhere. So I enrolled. And then I suffered.

After three semesters of conjugating verbs in my sleep and seeing a tutor every week (who ended up having to take on the job of therapist as well), I still can’t speak more than a few sentences in Spanish. Somehow I ended up with a part-time job in the city, but my coworkers have to run to the rescue whenever they see someone talking at me.

The University of Miami needs to provide a “Spanish in the Workplace” course for students who would like to live as competent individuals in Miami and succeed in obtaining any job that requires bilingual conversation.

Learning Spanish at UM when you know nothing other than “el bano, por favor” (bathroom, please) on day one is a lot like immediately performing a surgery when you’ve only ever played the board game version of Operation.

How is it that I somewhat know how to talk about a hole in the ozone layer (el agujero en la capa de ozono) or tell you that my aunt needs ointment and has pneumonia, and yet I have no idea how to tell my customers that we don’t allow drinks beyond the front desk?

I begin my stumblings with “Hola, sorry mi espanol es muy malo, pero…” My textbook is stained with tears and coffee. I have come to terms with the fact that I will never, ever be able to just switch into the subjunctive tense in speech.

I need a course that will teach me conversational Spanish, not expect me to write essays after sitting wide-eyed through just a few lectures during which I had no idea what was said.

I want to be tested on situations that will actually happen, like helping a customer at a retail store or restaurant. This type of oral exam will force me to remember what I’m supposed to say on the job, and I might even comprehend it after a while, rather than just memorize the sounds.

Instead, in Spanish 211 I was asked to act out the role of someone who is learning the different parts of a car, while another person charaded driving, and I don’t remember any of these vocab words now – I don’t even know my car parts in English.

I am not suggesting that Spanish isn’t necessary outside of the workplace. It is. But, some people are excellent at learning languages, and some aren’t, so for those of us who fall into the latter category, a “Spanish in the Workplace” course that could be taken as the third class after 101 and 102, or as an elective credit, would be extremely beneficial.

Hunter Wright is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Hunter Wright

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...