Bus changes planned for upcoming football games

The Sun Life Stadium Transportation Task Force met this spring to discuss changes that will affect students attending football games during the fall.

Pat Whitely, vice president for student affairs, led the task force. It was comprised of 22 members, eight of which were students.

The task force, which met three times this semester, met for the last time on March 6 to discuss the initiatives that will take effect in August.

Recommended changes include later bus departure times. Shuttles that transport students to Sun Life Stadium will not begin to depart until the end of the third quarter.

According to Whitely, this will occur to make sure that students remain in the stadium to help contribute to school spirit.

“We want students to remain in the stadium to support the team and help create that winning environment,” she said.

In addition, students cannot begin lining up for buses until the end of the third quarter.

“We will have additional stadium staff at student gate exits informing students who may want to leave that they cannot begin lining up for the shuttles until the end of the third quarter,” Whitely said.

In cases of extreme heat or inclement weather, Whitely mentioned that students could retreat to the concourse areas. 

Students are also encouraged to plan ahead if they want to leave before the end of the third quarter.

To resolve the issue with the number of buses that take students to the stadium, students will also be required to take part in a “Sun Life Shuttle Opt-In Process.” In other words, students are required to opt-in for round-trip or one-way trips to and from campus.

“The goal is to get better data on how many students are utilizing the shuttles in some form,” Whitely said.

Interfraternity Council President Brad Bradshaw, a student on the task force, said that the two major goals were figuring out the number of buses going to and coming back from Sun Life, and confronting student behavior issues.

“The buses are designed to enjoy football games and the tailgate experience,” he said. “The idea was to create a safe environment and not destroy the culture of athletics.”

Students will only need to present their Cane Cards to board the bus. According to Whitely, students who still want to ride the bus but forget to opt-in will still be able to ride the shuttles.

Other changes and recommendations will take place in August. Students will be encouraged to secure their tickets to games earlier, and more marketing will be done to raise awareness on alcohol safety.

“We want students to get accustomed to securing their game ticket by Wednesday before a Saturday game,” Whitely said. “We really need to continue to market to the students and educate the students about taking care of themselves and their friends at the stadium.”

Bradshaw also stressed that the task force’s main goal is to increase student attendance. 

Students should also not worry about the football game experience changing, he said.

“We want to preserve the experience and that everyone have an awesome time,” he said.

Overall, Whitely is pleased with the changes.

“I think this is a great start,” she said. “I’m pleased with the work of the task force, and I think it’s a terrific start. We do need to market these changes to the student body and hope for their cooperation. Remember, the whole purpose of the buses is to go to the football game and support the team.”

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...