Campus Life, Environment, Featured, News, Student Government

Earth Week turns campus green

Though Earth Day ended Tuesday, Student Government’s (SG) Energy and Conservation Organization (ECO) extended the carbon-footprint-reducing celebration.

Throughout the week, ECO collaborated with student organizations to prepare Earth Week, an environmental celebration and awareness effort that features a variety of sustainable initiatives and events.

“Each day of the week has a different environmental theme ranging from food to art in order to demonstrate how connected our world truly is,” said Nika Hosseini, secretary and senate liaison for the ECO agency.

The week kicked off on Monday with a biodegradable water balloon toss on the Green. The Hug the Lake event, an annual tradition organized by Random Acts of Kindness, took place Tuesday around Lake Osceola, where students, faculty and staff stood hand-in-hand surrounding the lake.

Sophomore Daniela Lorenzo attended Hug the Lake for the first time this year and enjoyed how the event brought students together at the center of campus.

“I thought it was a cool process to see so many people come together for a random moment of awareness mixed with school spirit,” she said.

On Wednesday, a food day was held at the Rock and focused on locally grown goods and the Well Canes Market.

Earth Week events are an opportunity for students to appreciate nature while learning how to help the environment.

“The main goal of Earth Week is to spread awareness as well as educate the general public about different environmental topics and issues such as learning how to reduce waste by composting or learning the personal impact one has on the Earth through a carbon footprint calculation,” Hosseini said.

From 12:30 to 2 p.m. Thursday, students can join ECO and Earth Alert, an environmental student organization at UM, for a tour and picnic at the Arboretum. Participants will be able to learn more about conservation and positively impacting the earth.

Earth Week will conclude from noon to 2 p.m. Friday with students calculating their carbon footprint at the Rock.

Elizabeth Tran, a freshman representative of ECO, hopes that students not only have fun during Earth Week but also learn ways to improve the environment.

“I hope other students will have fun participating in Earth Week and through it have a genuine desire to reduce their carbon footprint,” she said. “In the long run, I want the University of Miami to be recognized as one of the greenest schools in the nation.”

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...