Sports Briefs 4/21

Men’s tennis

The Miami men’s tennis team dropped its regular season home finale to rival Florida State on Saturday, 6-1.

The Hurricanes kept it close in most of their matches, but ultimately came up well short.

“It was a really close match,” coach Mario Rincon said. “We had a lot of opportunities but FSU played the big points really well and we gave them everything we had and they were better than us.”

Gabriel Flores was the only victorious singles player for Miami.

“We still have a lot of tennis left,” Rincon said. “We are looking forward to the ACC Tournament next week.”

Track and field

Isaiah Simmons made his presence felt at the 2014 ACC Outdoor Championships.

The sophomore was named men’s field MVP for the second straight year after a number of impressive performances.

“We competed very hard, had so many personal bests, ACC Champions and the field MVP,” Track Director Amy Deem said of Miami’s weekend in Chapel Hill, N.C. “I think our kids really fed off each other and it was exciting. As a coach, one of the best track meets that I’ve been around for a while.”

The women’s team finished in third place overall, their best ACC finish since 2008. The men placed ninth overall.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...