Sports Briefs 4/21

Men’s tennis

The Miami men’s tennis team dropped its regular season home finale to rival Florida State on Saturday, 6-1.

The Hurricanes kept it close in most of their matches, but ultimately came up well short.

“It was a really close match,” coach Mario Rincon said. “We had a lot of opportunities but FSU played the big points really well and we gave them everything we had and they were better than us.”

Gabriel Flores was the only victorious singles player for Miami.

“We still have a lot of tennis left,” Rincon said. “We are looking forward to the ACC Tournament next week.”

Track and field

Isaiah Simmons made his presence felt at the 2014 ACC Outdoor Championships.

The sophomore was named men’s field MVP for the second straight year after a number of impressive performances.

“We competed very hard, had so many personal bests, ACC Champions and the field MVP,” Track Director Amy Deem said of Miami’s weekend in Chapel Hill, N.C. “I think our kids really fed off each other and it was exciting. As a coach, one of the best track meets that I’ve been around for a while.”

The women’s team finished in third place overall, their best ACC finish since 2008. The men placed ninth overall.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...