Sports Briefs 4/21

Men’s tennis

The Miami men’s tennis team dropped its regular season home finale to rival Florida State on Saturday, 6-1.

The Hurricanes kept it close in most of their matches, but ultimately came up well short.

“It was a really close match,” coach Mario Rincon said. “We had a lot of opportunities but FSU played the big points really well and we gave them everything we had and they were better than us.”

Gabriel Flores was the only victorious singles player for Miami.

“We still have a lot of tennis left,” Rincon said. “We are looking forward to the ACC Tournament next week.”

Track and field

Isaiah Simmons made his presence felt at the 2014 ACC Outdoor Championships.

The sophomore was named men’s field MVP for the second straight year after a number of impressive performances.

“We competed very hard, had so many personal bests, ACC Champions and the field MVP,” Track Director Amy Deem said of Miami’s weekend in Chapel Hill, N.C. “I think our kids really fed off each other and it was exciting. As a coach, one of the best track meets that I’ve been around for a while.”

The women’s team finished in third place overall, their best ACC finish since 2008. The men placed ninth overall.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...