News Briefs 4/21

ReUse Store

A ReUse store will be set up during the Weekly Well Canes Market on Wednesday near Richter Library. Students are encouraged to bring any items they no longer need, such as dorm accessories, furniture or clothes, and drop them off at the ReUse Table. From there, they can pick up any items left on the table by other students. The event is free and open to all. Any leftover items will be donated to Goodwill at the end of the day.

Hug the Lake

Random Acts of Kindness will host Hug the Lake in honor of earth day at 12:05 p.m. on Tuesday. Students can go to Lake Osceola to gather around the lake and join together to give it a “hug.”

Bench Press Competition

The Bench Press Competition will take place at 6 p.m. on Thursday at the Wellness Center. The deadline to register is Tuesday. Students may sign up in room 210 at the Wellness Center. For more information, call (305) 284-8518 or email tsoria@miami.edu. The event is free.

Commencement

Undergraduate students will participate in commencement May 9 in the BankUnited Center. College of Arts and Sciences students will begin to process at 8:30 a.m. School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, RSMAS, Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies will process at 12:30 p.m. The School of Business and College of Engineering’s ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Students can pick up their caps and gowns from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 6 to May 8 at the Toppel Career Center.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...