News Briefs 4/21

ReUse Store

A ReUse store will be set up during the Weekly Well Canes Market on Wednesday near Richter Library. Students are encouraged to bring any items they no longer need, such as dorm accessories, furniture or clothes, and drop them off at the ReUse Table. From there, they can pick up any items left on the table by other students. The event is free and open to all. Any leftover items will be donated to Goodwill at the end of the day.

Hug the Lake

Random Acts of Kindness will host Hug the Lake in honor of earth day at 12:05 p.m. on Tuesday. Students can go to Lake Osceola to gather around the lake and join together to give it a “hug.”

Bench Press Competition

The Bench Press Competition will take place at 6 p.m. on Thursday at the Wellness Center. The deadline to register is Tuesday. Students may sign up in room 210 at the Wellness Center. For more information, call (305) 284-8518 or email tsoria@miami.edu. The event is free.

Commencement

Undergraduate students will participate in commencement May 9 in the BankUnited Center. College of Arts and Sciences students will begin to process at 8:30 a.m. School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, RSMAS, Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies will process at 12:30 p.m. The School of Business and College of Engineering’s ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Students can pick up their caps and gowns from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 6 to May 8 at the Toppel Career Center.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...