V's Take

I want to avoid stranger danger …

V,

I just joined Tinder about a week ago, so this whole “dating through social media” thing is new to me. I’ve been talking to a guy I think I might want to meet up with, but I’ve never just met up with a stranger. Can you give me a little “How To Tinder 101?”

Help!

Tinder Virgin

Dear Tinderella,

You’ve got to be willing to leave your shoe behind for somebody, and whether that requires you getting some coffee with that hunky dude you just got matched with or joining OkCupid, it’s time to take the leap of faith.

I understand your fear – he could be a creep who’s only looking to get into your pants or he could be a crazy person. You never know. Still, statistically speaking, this guy is most likely neither a creep nor a psycho.

In my experience, meeting up with someone from Tinder or any other dating site requires careful planning and preparation. You have to make sure that you dress correctly – not too nice or it’ll look like you’re trying too hard – and you have to make sure that you look enough like your pictures that he’ll recognize you when he sees you. We all like to pick the pics that we know make us look the best, but the trick to a successful meet up is making yourself as real as possible, online and off.

You don’t want to be a Barbie in your pictures and you don’t want to be a Barbie in person. Make sure that you pick a public place to have this date of yours – a Starbucks should do quite nicely – and just let it happen. You might not have the best time of your life but you’ll at least try something new. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Obviously, if he turns out to be weird or crazy then run away fast and don’t give him your phone number.

Also, try not to make plans with any dudes who look like they’ve pulled their picture out of a magazine ad.

Not to worry, I’m sure prince charming is out there waiting for you with your other crystal slipper in hand.

But in the mean time, you’re going to have to deal with dating some paupers. Just stick it out – the great magic mirror that is Tinder will eventually present you with a wonderful alternative for your love life.

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...