Ban Ultra Music Festival for safety

Ultra Music Festival (UMF) has been coming to Miami for the past 16 years, attracting thousands of people from all over the world. This year, a security guard was trampled after a group of people stormed the fence.

As a result, Miami Mayor Tomas Regalado and city commissioner Marc Sarnoff have called for an end to Ultra. The vote was scheduled to take place earlier this month but was delayed.

On Thursday, Ultra’s fate will be decided, and I hope the city makes the right choice: To ban Ultra.

Ultra, its patrons and local businesses have defended the music festival, lauding its numerous accomplishments. In 2013, Ultra brought in $223 million and created 1,800 jobs.

However, UMF is dangerous. People go to Ultra to have fun, but for many, this involves drinking or abusing drugs. In a crowd of several thousand people, walking around impaired is dangerous and can lead to injury or death.

A 21-year-old was found dead in his car after Ultra, and 118 rescues were performed by the paramedics. Also, 78 people were arrested this year, 28 of them for felonies.

The main consideration for keeping Ultra in Miami is the revenue that it generates for the city. However, by allowing Ultra to stay another year, city officials would be choosing money over public safety.

UMF organizers were negligent – they were told to reinforce the fence where the guard was trampled, and they did not.

They have recently hired Miami Beach Police Chief Ray Martinez to be their security director. This is a good idea, but it’s too little too late.

You don’t reward someone’s negligence by giving them another shot; you shut them down.

Ultra has had a good run, but it’s time for it to go.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...