Profiles, Sports

Wings for Life World Run to benefit spinal cord research

Karl Meltzer runs on the Pony Trail, USA on October 24th, 2010. Photo Courtesy Christian Pondella/Red Bull

For Brooke Thabit, the ocean has always been her natural habitat. The Stuart, Fla., native was a team rider for the local Ohana Surf Shop until a misjudged dive off a pier changed her life forever.

On impact, Thabit fractured her neck and immediately suffered paralysis. After emergency surgery she has slowly regained limited restoration of sensation and movement in her lower extremities through intensive therapy.

After her accident, Thabit could barely shrug shoulders and had to relearn how to do everything.

“Brushing teeth was a workout,” said Thabit, 18.

Yet through all the hardship, her positive attitude is an inspiration.

“What gets me through definitely is that there will be a cure, hopefully, for spinal cord injuries. To think that I will be able to walk again, or surf again or run again, that definitely helps to try to keep me up when I have a bad day. But also my friends and family have been really supportive,” Thabit said.

In support of spinal cord injury warriors everywhere, Red Bull is sponsoring the Wings for Life World Run on May 4.

The race will take place in 35 different locations, spanning six continents. Runners around the world from Auckland to Barcelona, Cape Town to Lima and in cities across the United States will begin at the same time, 10 a.m. UTC.

This non-traditional race has no official finish line. Runners must keep pace ahead of the “catcher car.” In a sense, the finish line reaches you.

Registration is $50 through April 20 for the Sunrise, Fla. race, which kicks off at 6 a.m. at the BB&T Center. One hundred percent of the entry fees will go to spinal cord research.

Not a runner? Red Bull Wings for Life is accepting volunteers ages 16 and over.

“It’s just another step forward, a chance for me to give back to the running community and maybe get people inspired,” said Red Bull ultra marathoner Karl Meltzer, who visited the UM campus in February to promote the race and host a question and answer session with the Miami running club.

While Meltzer made his name by winning 100-mile races, he is simply proud to be a member of the running community.

“It’s cool to see it evolve,” he said. “We’re a tight-knit bunch, we’re competitive, but we’re not agro-competitive … it’s just a great community and it’s great to see it continue to evolve and see people inspired by it.”

Meltzer and Red Bull are aiming to raise money and awareness for spinal cord research so that athletes like Thabit can reclaim their active lifestyles.

“A spinal cord injury is a crazy injury, they really don’t know anything about it,” Thabit said. “Some people break their neck and recover all on their own and other people don’t, like I didn’t. And it’s not so much of who works harder – they don’t know how far you’ll come. You just have to keep working at it and hope for the best.”

For more information and to register to run or volunteer, visit wingsforlifeworldrun.com/en.

Kristen Spillane

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...