SPORTS BRIEFS 4/17

women’s tennis

The women’s tennis team will play its final two home matches of the season this weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Miami hosts Virginia Tech at 3 p.m. Friday, and on Sunday the Hurricanes are scheduled for a match against No. 9 Virginia at 1 p.m. The Canes will honor their seniors during Sunday’s match. The Hurricanes are ranked No. 15 in the nation with a 16-4 record (10-2 ACC).

track and field

Miami is competing in the 2014 ACC Outdoor Championships, which kick off Thursday in Chapel Hill, N.C.

Many of the track and field events featuring the Canes’ top competitors will be streaming live on theacc.com or ESPN3.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...