Outreach center supports autistic community

Senior Taylor Owen spent the last two years working as a student research assistant in UM’s Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD). Aside from working on large-scale research projects, CARD allowed Owens to interact with families that come to CARD in search of resources.

“My most rewarding experience from working and volunteering at CARD is being able to work with children and their entire families to help make a better quality of life for these individuals on the spectrum,” said Owen, a psychology major. “By working with their parents as well as their siblings, we are hopefully building stronger family relationships for these kids.”

CARD is an organization that helps children with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and their families, a goal that is highlighted especially in April, which is also Autism Awareness month. ASD is a neurological disorder that affects the way the brain develops and processes information, according to CARD’s website. ASD is considered a “spectrum” disorder because it varies widely in severity and its specific behaviors.

About one in 68 children in America is diagnosed with ASD, according to the Center for Disease Control. The findings were released in March and mark a 30 percent increase in just two years. In 1991, the figure was one in 500 children.

Given the increase in the number of diagnosed cases of ASD, South Florida families lobbied to create a center where they could find support and resources related to autism in 1993, according to Michael Alessandri, executive director of CARD.

CARD’s mission is to optimize the potential of those living with ASD by providing free education, support and assistance to those affected and their families. They have also extended their services to help people affected by related disabilities, such as deaf-blindness and genetic disorders that may coexist with symptoms of autism.

CARD offers four basic services:  individual client and family support, programmatic assistance to schools and other agencies, family and professional training, and public education and awareness at no direct cost to participants, according to Alessandri.

“They are all central to our mission and vital, but I guess the one that stands out is the client and family support,” he said. “It is quite something for families to know they have a place to go for information, resources, referrals and emotional support when they need it. But, of course, the other three are also critical to building a better community for people with autism as well.”

CARD has four locations in South Florida that reach out to Miami-Dade, Broward and Monroe counties. The two centers in Coral Gables and Homestead are affiliated with the University of Miami, while the other two in Davie, Fla., and North Miami Beach are part of Nova Southeastern University.

Michelle Costa, CARD’s manager of special events, has enjoyed being a part of the positive programming it provides and understands the center’s impact in the community. This programming includes family surf camps, soccer and tennis clinics, employment boot camps and support groups.

“The most fulfilling part of my job is seeing the opportunities we can provide to our families,” she said. “Hearing from a family that they were able to be part of something so special because of CARD is really priceless.”

Costa encourages interested students to get involved with the center’s work.

“For the month of Autism Awareness, they can wear blue and show their support on our Facebook page,” she said. “Students can also volunteer at CARD events, but must complete volunteer paperwork prior to doing so.”

Alessandri seconds this push for student involvement.

“We are very proud to be at UM and would love the UM community to know about us as much as the rest of world knows us,” he said.

Centee for Autism and Related Disabilities

Where: Flipse Building

For more information, call 1-800-9-AUTISM or visit umcard.org.

Sarah Hall

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...