News Briefs 4/17

Concert for Hope

UM Christian groups like Cru, University Christian Fellowship and Miami BCM will feature a Concert for Hope at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the UC Patio. Students will have the chance to pack food for those in need in the community. Free food from Sushi Maki, Chick-Fil-A and other venues will be available. Two Miami Heat Playoff tickets will be raffled off.

The Vagina Monologues

There will be a screening of The Vagina Monologues at 8 p.m. Thursday in Stanford’s Master’s Apartment. The screening will be followed by a discussion aimed to promote sex positivity and consensual sex. Refreshments will be served.

Student Health Service

As part of 2014 STD Awareness Month, the Student Health Service will be facilitating a Q&A about safer sex from 7 to 8 p.m. Thursday in UC 245. Free confidential and anonymous HIV and STD testing will be offered 1:30 to 5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday in UC 233, 237 and 241.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...