News Briefs 4/17

Concert for Hope

UM Christian groups like Cru, University Christian Fellowship and Miami BCM will feature a Concert for Hope at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the UC Patio. Students will have the chance to pack food for those in need in the community. Free food from Sushi Maki, Chick-Fil-A and other venues will be available. Two Miami Heat Playoff tickets will be raffled off.

The Vagina Monologues

There will be a screening of The Vagina Monologues at 8 p.m. Thursday in Stanford’s Master’s Apartment. The screening will be followed by a discussion aimed to promote sex positivity and consensual sex. Refreshments will be served.

Student Health Service

As part of 2014 STD Awareness Month, the Student Health Service will be facilitating a Q&A about safer sex from 7 to 8 p.m. Thursday in UC 245. Free confidential and anonymous HIV and STD testing will be offered 1:30 to 5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday in UC 233, 237 and 241.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...