Campus Life, Featured, News, Student Organization

Law school theater group uses humor for charity

Hilarity for Charity’s (HFC) collegiate program HFC U ranked UM’s School of Law Equity Playhouse No. 7 in the “Elite Eight” list of student organizations and college campuses that raised the most funds in the fight against Alzheimer’s disease. The law school’s Equity Playhouse is a student-run theater group.

HFC is part of the national Alzheimer’s Association and raises money to provide resources for research and for families struggling with Alzheimer’s care. The charity is led by actor Seth Rogen and wife Lauren Miller, and uses humor to raise awareness about the disease.

Equity Playhouse produces shows that make light of law school and legal events. The organization’s annual show donates all proceeds from ticket sales to a charity selected by students.

In March, the playhouse premiered “1L in Wonderland,” a spoof on “Alice in Wonderland” and other stories like the “Wizard of Oz,” “Lord of the Rings,” “Chronicles of Narnia” and “Harry Potter.” The show followed Alice, a first-year law student, who enters a fantasy land and learns about law school, encountering professor parodies along the journey.

When Director and Lead Song Parody Writer Alyssa Williams was considering which charities to support with the cast, Matthew Deblinger, a first-year law student, suggested Hilarity for Charity. Deblinger saw firsthand the effects of Alzheimer’s when his grandfather developed the disease.

“Hilarity for Charity felt like a perfect fit for our model because it used comedy as a vehicle to tackle a serious cause, Alzheimer’s disease,” Deblinger said. “Alzheimer’s certainly impairs memory, but no one ever forgets how to laugh.”

After discussing the idea with Williams, the decision was made to select it as a benefiting charity.

“I had just seen Seth Rogen’s testimony before Congress and thought it was a great idea,” Williams said. “I invited Matt to come speak to the cast, and as many of us have relatives or know people with Alzheimer’s, we ultimately selected it as one of our charities this year.”

Together, the universities that participated with HFC in raising money in fight of Alzheiemer’s have raised a total of $127,000 in the last semester.

“That’s incredible, and it shows what our proactive generation is capable of,” Deblinger said. “I’m humbled that Miami Law made it to the ‘Elite Eight’ because I believe that it’s a testament to our munificence. This contest was never about winning; it was about raising money for such an emotionally draining disease.”

Williams was also excited about Equity Playhouse’s recognition by HFC as an “Elite Eight,” but what she finds most rewarding is the opportunity to raise awareness of Alzheimer’s to college students.

“…The cast of Equity and I really just focused on trying to raise money for the charity through ticket sales and word-of-mouth,” Williams said. “It’s great to hear that we are acknowledged for our efforts, but the awareness on campus and the support of Alzheimer’s research and families was our goal.”

Emily Dabau

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...