Edge, Music

DJ Flume brings a flashing remix to Grand Central

Men and women screamed and rejoiced during Flume’s sold-out show at Grand Central. The combination of his chill tunes and crazy lights during the set, which were 80 percent different shades of purple and 20 percent other colors, was an even better combination than milk and cookies.

The stage was dark, minus the white light that came from the Apple logo on the MacBook as the crowd waited anxiously for Flume to come on stage. At a little past midnight, the lights began flashing. Flume walked on and got behind the MacBook.

He opened his set with the instrumental version of “Blame the Game” off his “Lockjaw EP.” The song got the crowd grooving hard, especially when he mixed it with “Sleepless.”

The set included many of the songs from his debut album, including “Holdin On,” “Insane” and “Ezra.” He even dropped some songs from “What So Not,” his side project with Emoh. He also played some remixes, including a remix to Mos Def’s “Mathematics,” which had members of the crowd spitting verses.

The remix that changed the atmosphere was his remix of Lorde’s “Tennis Court.” Flume dedicated the remix to Lorde herself. During the track, the lights and visuals changed to gold. At some points of the song, the visuals were of a lady’s face covered in gold paint along with other obscure gold visuals, such as a crown.

“Tennis Court” wasn’t the only track with captivating visuals to accompany it. Towards the end of his set, Flume played his remix of Disclosure’s “You and Me.” When the song got to the chill drop, the screen behind him showed a man and woman passionately kissing, just like a scene out of a chick flick. When he dropped “On Top,” the visuals looked like they were out of the Rainbow Road race course in Mario Kart, especially since the visual was moving as if it was a racing videogame. It was colorful and showed the producer’s name, “Flume.”

Overall, Flume’s set flowed extremely well and had the crowd craving more. The set lasted a little over an hour and a half, and it was clear from the audience’s reaction that he put on a great show.

Frank Malvar

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...