Edge, Music

DJ Flume brings a flashing remix to Grand Central

Men and women screamed and rejoiced during Flume’s sold-out show at Grand Central. The combination of his chill tunes and crazy lights during the set, which were 80 percent different shades of purple and 20 percent other colors, was an even better combination than milk and cookies.

The stage was dark, minus the white light that came from the Apple logo on the MacBook as the crowd waited anxiously for Flume to come on stage. At a little past midnight, the lights began flashing. Flume walked on and got behind the MacBook.

He opened his set with the instrumental version of “Blame the Game” off his “Lockjaw EP.” The song got the crowd grooving hard, especially when he mixed it with “Sleepless.”

The set included many of the songs from his debut album, including “Holdin On,” “Insane” and “Ezra.” He even dropped some songs from “What So Not,” his side project with Emoh. He also played some remixes, including a remix to Mos Def’s “Mathematics,” which had members of the crowd spitting verses.

The remix that changed the atmosphere was his remix of Lorde’s “Tennis Court.” Flume dedicated the remix to Lorde herself. During the track, the lights and visuals changed to gold. At some points of the song, the visuals were of a lady’s face covered in gold paint along with other obscure gold visuals, such as a crown.

“Tennis Court” wasn’t the only track with captivating visuals to accompany it. Towards the end of his set, Flume played his remix of Disclosure’s “You and Me.” When the song got to the chill drop, the screen behind him showed a man and woman passionately kissing, just like a scene out of a chick flick. When he dropped “On Top,” the visuals looked like they were out of the Rainbow Road race course in Mario Kart, especially since the visual was moving as if it was a racing videogame. It was colorful and showed the producer’s name, “Flume.”

Overall, Flume’s set flowed extremely well and had the crowd craving more. The set lasted a little over an hour and a half, and it was clear from the audience’s reaction that he put on a great show.

Frank Malvar

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...