Edge, Music

DJ Flume brings a flashing remix to Grand Central

Men and women screamed and rejoiced during Flume’s sold-out show at Grand Central. The combination of his chill tunes and crazy lights during the set, which were 80 percent different shades of purple and 20 percent other colors, was an even better combination than milk and cookies.

The stage was dark, minus the white light that came from the Apple logo on the MacBook as the crowd waited anxiously for Flume to come on stage. At a little past midnight, the lights began flashing. Flume walked on and got behind the MacBook.

He opened his set with the instrumental version of “Blame the Game” off his “Lockjaw EP.” The song got the crowd grooving hard, especially when he mixed it with “Sleepless.”

The set included many of the songs from his debut album, including “Holdin On,” “Insane” and “Ezra.” He even dropped some songs from “What So Not,” his side project with Emoh. He also played some remixes, including a remix to Mos Def’s “Mathematics,” which had members of the crowd spitting verses.

The remix that changed the atmosphere was his remix of Lorde’s “Tennis Court.” Flume dedicated the remix to Lorde herself. During the track, the lights and visuals changed to gold. At some points of the song, the visuals were of a lady’s face covered in gold paint along with other obscure gold visuals, such as a crown.

“Tennis Court” wasn’t the only track with captivating visuals to accompany it. Towards the end of his set, Flume played his remix of Disclosure’s “You and Me.” When the song got to the chill drop, the screen behind him showed a man and woman passionately kissing, just like a scene out of a chick flick. When he dropped “On Top,” the visuals looked like they were out of the Rainbow Road race course in Mario Kart, especially since the visual was moving as if it was a racing videogame. It was colorful and showed the producer’s name, “Flume.”

Overall, Flume’s set flowed extremely well and had the crowd craving more. The set lasted a little over an hour and a half, and it was clear from the audience’s reaction that he put on a great show.

Frank Malvar

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...