Tread cautiously on Tinder

If E-harmony and Hot or Not had a love child, it would be Tinder. The application helps people meet others in their geographic area – basically like a human GPS system.

Users provide photos, a short bio, age and mutual friends. If there is mutual interest, users can swipe right to message one another or they can “keep playing” by swiping left.

Tinder has become so pervasive that it currently processes an average of 750 million swipes and 10 million matches daily. It’s reached the point of social acceptability, and that’s probably because the concept is quite simple.

Just like its catch phrase, Tinder’s service provides hours of entertainment – but it’s more for the funny bone than the heart. Knowing that Tinder may prove loveless for those seeking a romantic relationship, it is important for its users to manage their expectations.

Junior Jillian Kernan, a Tinder user, says she’s encountered cheesy pickup lines like “UMiami, huh? So that’s where all the beautiful sorority girls are hiding” and “I’m doing a scavenger hunt and need a president’s signature, a dinosaur bone and your phone number.”

While it seems safe enough, given that people mutually choose one another before messaging or phone numbers are involved, there are dangers behind providing locational information within a few miles’ radius. With the recent Snapchat data breach, personal information can easily become a dangerous tool in the wrong hands.

It also seems difficult to choose someone romantically using Tinder’s superficial way of segmenting people. While some may argue that in-person romantic first impressions are also based on appearance, Tinder users are unable to even communicate until after seeing (possibly shirtless) pictures of one another. I may not be the love expert, but I know we shouldn’t plan to date someone simply for being a hottie with a body. Attraction is typically based on interactions and personal qualities – an afterthought on Tinder.

While it’s an interesting concept that can provide hours of entertainment, Tinder won’t lead you to meet the love of your life. Make sure to know what you’re getting yourself into before you swipe right on using Tinder.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...