No replacement without representation

Journalism professor Bob Radziewicz has advised The Miami Hurricane staff for seven years, but on April 1, we found out that this year would be his last at UM.

Radziewicz, a former editor of The Miami Herald, was hired by the School of Communication (SoC) specifically to fill the role of The Miami Hurricane’s faculty adviser. Now, he is being laid off from his unique position because the SoC is making changes in budgetary allocations.

We acknowledge that SoC Dean Gregory Shepherd has the authority to make these decisions, but we disagree with the way that the SoC went about doing so.

We weren’t informed until the end of the semester that our faculty adviser was being taken away. On top of that, we’ve been assigned a new one without having any say.

In response, current staff members and alumni of the student newspaper have appealed to President Donna E. Shalala and Dean Shepherd – but to no avail.

We have been asked by the SoC administration, as student leaders, to demonstrate our support during the school’s transition period. But we feel that it is the responsibility of leaders to speak out when they think something is wrong.

When international studies (INS) adviser Steve Ralph was let go by the College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) in the fall, INS students and faculty were up in arms.

Ralph’s position was eliminated as a result of efforts to centralize CAS advising, much like Radziewicz’s situation.

If these faculty and staff members were not doing an exceptional job in their roles at the university, there would not have been backlash. The overwhelming support for Ralph and now Radziewicz is proof that CAS and SoC have not made wise decisions.

When schools or colleges plan to make drastic structural changes within their departments, the respective administrations should consult a council of students who will be affected.

We know what it takes to be the adviser of this student media outlet – weekly meetings with student editors, a willingness to answer the phone at all hours and unyielding dedication to molding future media professionals.

The next time a pivotal adviser – or any other faculty member – is under consideration for being dismissed, students should be able to offer some advice of their own.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...