News Briefs 4/14

Conservative Week

Starting Monday, University of Miami College Republicans will be hosting Conservative Week. The events will be all-day on the Rock, beginning with a congressional candidate speech on Monday. A Support Our Troops event will be held Tuesday at the Rock. On Wednesday, they will provide a free all-American lunch at the Rock.  At 8 p.m. Thursday, there will be a free happy hour at the Rat.

Concert for Hope

UM Christian groups like Cru and the University Christian Fellowship will feature a Concert for Hope at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the UC Patio. Free food from Sushi Maki, Chick-Fil-A and other venues will be available.

Passover Seder

Chabad UM will host a Passover Seder at 8:15 p.m. Monday and Tuesday at the Chabad House, 1251 Hardee Road. There will be a full dinner and handmade matzot. Students will not be charged. To register, visit jewishcanes.com/seder. Chabad UM will also offer a strictly Kosher meal plan. Students can register at jewishcanes.com/mealplan.

Music in the Arboretum

Frost School of Music students will perform from 6 to 7 p.m. Wednesday outdoors at the Gifford Arboretum. Admission is free. Students are encouraged to bring chairs and blankets to enjoy the music.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...