Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Flume talks making music, future plans

Flume is a 22-year-old Australian producer known for songs like “Holdin On,” “Lose the Game” and “Ezra.”. Since his self-titled debut album and recent Lockjaw EP with Chet Faker, Flume has been growing in popularity. He’s even playing the first day of Coachella this year. He will also be in town Tuesday, April 15 to play a sold-out show at Grand Central.

The Miami Hurricane sat down with the Sydney-based producer to talk about his music style, pre-performance rituals and how he knows a track is complete.

The Miami Hurricane: Why are you called Flume?

Flume: I named it after a Bon Iver track, but I also like the way it looks from a typography perspective. I think it’s a nice looking and sounding word. I think it sounds like the music I make.

TMH:   Describing your style of music to someone unfamiliar with it is hard to do, other than calling it chill. What are three words that you would use to describe your music?

F: Chill, I like that. That’s exactly what I was hoping to do. I always associate the color purple.

TMH: Is there one place you were surprised to perform at or dream of performing at?

F: Yeah, I’m actually going to Brazil to perform for the first time ever. I’ve been dying to go to Sao Paolo.

TMH: What are two big accomplishments so far in your career?

F: The biggest one was making my hobby turn into my career and to make a comfortable living off that, and that’s what I’ve been able to do.

TMH: Some artists have a pre-performance ritual. Do you have one?

F: I do like to have some quiet space three minutes before I go on stage. It depends, if it’s a big one sometimes I get a bit nervous. I usually get a few minutes of silence. Possibly, grab a beer.

TMH: So, is it like meditation?

F: No, it’s more of me clearing my head.

TMH: What do you do on your time off?

F: I actually had a fair amount of time off. Last year was crazy. Most of the entire year I was on tour. This year, 2014, I took some time off and I went to Thailand. I went to scuba dive; that was fun. I also did a whole lot of nothing, which is also really nice. Now, I’m back into it. I’m back on tour.

TMH: Where do you see yourself in three to five years?

F: I want to do another album, which I’m working on at the moment. I want to write a few albums. Then branch on into the branch of music production, things like T.V. ads, video games and even space producing for other people. I’d  like to write, so I can write for whoever I want. I find it really fun and a challenge to write for other artists.

TMH: How do you know when you’re done with a track?

F: It’s a thing you have to learn, really, because I feel most producers, or at least myself, I’m my hardest critic. Nothing’s ever finished. I’ve never put a song out that was finished in my mind. There’s always things that can be better and that I can hear. You just have to know when to stop, and that’s a skill that I’ve learned by really doing an album. I had all these tracks and songs that were 85% done, but you can just overcome things very easily and lose the perception of what’s good and what’s bad. You just get used to the mistakes.

Frank Malvar

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...