Edge, Movies, Reviews

‘Cuban Fury’ encourages audience to chase after passions

We’ve all felt inadequate at some point, especially when compared to the majesty of our love interest. But “Cuban Fury,” the latest film by Nick Frost, advocates channeling this adoration into the realization of a passion.

Frost, who was the writer of both “Hot Fuzz” and “Paul,” wrote and stars in “Cuban Fury” as Bruce, the overweight and undervalued average bloke who falls for the gorgeous new boss (played by Rashida Jones). Once an avid salsa dancer on the verge of winning the junior title, he gave up his vocation after a bullying incident. But upon discovering the boss is also a salsa dancer, Bruce decides to dust off his old dancing shoes.

Meanwhile, his office rival Drew, played by Chris O’Dowd, mocks him, saying “women like that use guys like you to get advice about men like me.” While Drew’s mockery cuts into old wounds, once Bruce focuses on the goal of reigniting his salsa flame, the derisions actually spark the fire, exploding into a full-fledged dance duel.

Reminiscent of the tone and style of the flick “Love Actually,” but with a twist like “Dirty Dancing,” this British rom-com is a story of hope for the underdog. With its bubbly (albeit at times wry) tone, the film conveys the message that being caring and passionate can be enough to win anyone over.

Contrasting the crude British humor of Bruce’s and Drew’s interplay is the elegant way that the mockery metaphorically vocalizes the doubts in Bruce’s own mind. Bullying does not necessarily mean boys stuffing your mouth with sequins and forcing you to eat them. It’s also our own doubts that keep us from doing what we love.

Nick Frost encouraged everyone to chase their passion at a media screening at Regal Cinema in South Beach.

“It’s about passion being attractive,” said Frost.”A six-pack will wilt and die; passion doesn’t. Sexy isn’t about a six-pack – it comes from within.”

Frost was adamant about doing all the dance work himself. But when he first saw the dance performed by the choreographers, he feared it would be impossible. He says he felt “like a bear at some Victorian circus.”

“Secretly, I’d always wanted to be a dancer,” he admitted.

Yet, after seven months of torturous training and taping up his blistered feet, Frost was able to perform the finale scene himself. This scene is a source of pride for him.

“I will always have that, regardless of how the film does in box office,” said Frost. “I f**king did that.”

Truly, it’s impossible to see the last scene with its pulsing music and not want to get up from your seat and tap your feet. Thanks to Frost’s endearing character, the film is as infectious, with a hopeful message.

“If you like it – not even if you’re good at it – then that’s enough,” Frost said. “Don’t give up.”

Luisa Andonie

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...