Academics, News, Science and Technology

Two-year project nears end

The end is in sight for a two-year long construction project at the University of Miami’s RSMAS campus as the project enters its final few months.

The Marine Technology and Life Sciences building is expected to be completed by the end of spring 2014, and will be the first new building on the RSMAS campus since the 1980s. It will replace the 50-year-old Glassell building that currently houses the laboratories that will move into the new Life Sciences building.

“We knew we had to replace the facility, and we wanted to create a state-of-the-art facility for both physical and biological research,” said Michael Schmale, a RSMAS professor and associate dean for infrastructure.

The Marine Technology and Life Sciences building will consist of two parts connected by a windowed lobby that allows visitors to watch research as it happens. One side of the building will contain seawater labs and classrooms, while the other will house the state-of-the-art Surge Structure Atmospheric Interaction system (SUSTAIN).

The SUSTAIN system, a hurricane simulator, consists of wind and wave generators, and will be used to study wind-water interactions during hurricane-force winds. The system, described to span the area of six bowling lanes, also includes an artificial beach area where scientists will study the effects of storm surge on small, structural models of buildings.

“The system is not the biggest one in the world, but it’s the biggest one that can do the wind speeds it can do,” said William Drennan, RSMAS’s associate dean for undergraduate studies. “If we didn’t have it, we simply wouldn’t be able to do the same kind of studies.”

The new facilities will open up opportunities for the whole RSMAS community when construction is completed in the spring semester. Undergraduate and graduate students alike will have the ability to work alongside UM professors, as well as conduct research of their own.

Sophomore Ian Thompson, a marine science and geology major, is looking forward to taking advantage of these opportunities.

“I think it will be exciting to have a new building at RSMAS and hopefully, as an undergraduate, be able to take advantage of and get involved in some research that was unavailable prior to completion of the project,” he said.

There’s still more in store for the RSMAS campus after the Life Sciences building and SUSTAIN system are completed. RSMAS plans to construct a SCUBA training pool that will enhance the current research diving course offered to undergraduate and graduate students.

“At RSMAS there are studies about all kinds of different problems, and this is going to allow that kind of work to continue and also expand,” Drennan said.

Laura Vander Meiden

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...