Smartwatches need privacy boundaries

Smartwatches have become increasingly popular as they change from being little more than a gimmick to an important part of our fast-paced lives.

In March, Google announced a platform for a new line of smartwatches called “Android Wear.” Google promises seamless integration with users’ phones and delivery of only the most relevant info so that the watch isn’t cumbersome.

While some consider smartwatches a reflection of society’s increasing laziness, I believe they serve as a respectable and inevitable response to the vast amount of information to which we  now have access.

Consider the case of Android users on their way to the airport, trying to catch a flight but are stuck in traffic. For them, the most relevant information is their flight status and estimated arrival time. Without a smartwatch, they would have to pull out their phone – already illegal – and sift through various screens and key in some information before they finally get what they want.

A decade ago, access to this information from the car would have been a James Bond-esque luxury. However, we now have access to everything we want to know from wherever. We just need smart products – smartwatches – to help cut out the distractions.

Android Wear marks a significant step in the right direction for managing our lives. However, consumers often forget to think about privacy concerns, which tend to put a damper on advancements in technology. It is nevertheless important to remember that “smart” services can only be as smart as the amount of data we allow them to collect. They analyze our behavior, figure out our habits and try to deliver information that adapts to our individual needs.

Moving forward, as our lives become increasingly digitized, the best strategy for consumers and innovators is to elucidate the boundary between what Google should and shouldn’t be allowed to know about what we’re up to.

Ravi Jain is a freshman majoring in chemistry.

Ravi Jain

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...