Pull the plug on energy overuse

Buildings on campus often remain fully lit long after business hours. This makes it easy to think that the University of Miami doesn’t care about energy efficiency and its environmental implications.

Despite this lighting issue, the fact of the matter is that the university is working to improve campus energy efficiency. However, the changes won’t work without help from students and faculty.

Though the Department of Facilities Management is improving building policies and technology, the upgrades are just one piece of the puzzle. A more significant and equally challenging step is getting the UM community to change its habits.

Large buildings may seem like a greater priority in the quest for energy efficiency, but “user behavior” is the main source of energy use – and waste – at UM. Even with high-tech solutions, the campus will never be energy efficient without the help of students and faculty. With this in mind, we all need to make changes to use less energy.

Facilities Management has already implemented some new technology to reduce the impact of user behavior. One example is the ongoing installation of almost 2,000 occupancy sensors around campus, including in campus dorm rooms.

The occupancy sensors prevent wasted energy that results from individuals leaving lights and air conditioners running while they aren’t in the room. Such sensors have already been installed in the Mahoney and Pearson dorms, and have significantly decreased the buildings’ energy consumption.

Still, students and faculty can do their part to help limit energy waste. Small changes, like conserving the batteries of personal electronics by keeping them in “sleep mode” when not in use, can significantly reduce the university’s demand for energy.

This simple switch decreases the high “plug load” in outlets, which is caused by the constant need to charge electronics like laptops and smartphones. Energy will be saved in the long run, and saving energy reduces the need for fossil fuels.

With Earth Day approaching in the coming weeks, now is the perfect time to start thinking about how each of us can be more Earth-friendly. Though it might seem that facilities should be more concerned with large campus buildings, the fact is that changing our own actions makes a greater difference in UM’s energy use and improves the school’s environmental impact.

Illustrating this is a combined goal of Facilities Management, Green U and ECO board. It’s important for students to remember that our actions can make or break the energy efficiency of the university.

So, next time you walk by the library or Wellness Center and blame UM for leaving the lights on, remember that they’re taking steps to be more environmentally friendly – then ask yourself if you’re doing the same.

Amanda Wood is a junior majoring in ecosystem science and policy.

Amanda Wood

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...