News Briefs 4/9

Art auction

Art for Kids will be hosting a silent art auction to raise funds for Miami Children’s Hospital from 7 to 10 p.m. on Friday in the SAC North and South Activities Room. The event will feature artwork, refreshments, food and music.

Adrenaline mania

Starting at 7:30 p.m. on Friday at the Wellness Center Main Gym, there will be inflatable games including adrenaline rush, pedestal joust, boxing ring, bungee run and triple play (basketball, soccer and football) for students to use free of charge.

Pride parade

SpectrUM, Prism, OUTLaw, MedicOUT and the LGBTQ Faculty Staff Network will be participating in the Miami Pride Parade 2014 with a customized UM float on Sunday. All members of the university community are invited to participate.  A bus will depart Stanford Circle at 10:30 a.m. and will leave South Beach at 3 p.m. For more information, contact j.marzano@umiami.edu.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...