News Briefs 4/9

Art auction

Art for Kids will be hosting a silent art auction to raise funds for Miami Children’s Hospital from 7 to 10 p.m. on Friday in the SAC North and South Activities Room. The event will feature artwork, refreshments, food and music.

Adrenaline mania

Starting at 7:30 p.m. on Friday at the Wellness Center Main Gym, there will be inflatable games including adrenaline rush, pedestal joust, boxing ring, bungee run and triple play (basketball, soccer and football) for students to use free of charge.

Pride parade

SpectrUM, Prism, OUTLaw, MedicOUT and the LGBTQ Faculty Staff Network will be participating in the Miami Pride Parade 2014 with a customized UM float on Sunday. All members of the university community are invited to participate.  A bus will depart Stanford Circle at 10:30 a.m. and will leave South Beach at 3 p.m. For more information, contact j.marzano@umiami.edu.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...