LGBTQ pride progresses on campus

Four decades ago, a student wrote a letter to The Miami Hurricane decrying the university’s support of the Gay Alliance’s use of the Rathskeller for a Valentine’s Day dance.

On Wednesday night, the LGBTQ student organization SpectrUM took over the Rat once again – but this time for DragOut, the inaugural drag show put on to raise awareness about the LGBTQ community.

This is only one of many signs that our society, this country and the University of Miami have come a long way. No matter what kind of progress is made, however, it is still important for UM students to continue to embrace diversity in gender and sexual orientation, and for advocates like SpectrUM to push for this progress.

The Campus Pride Index, which looks at LGBTQ policy inclusion, student life and more, did not rank UM among the top 25 most gay friendly colleges. We received high marks in academic life, counseling and health, and policy inclusion, but there is room for improvement in LGBTQ support and institutional commitment, recruitment and retention efforts, and housing and residential life.

Looking at our achievements on this campus so far, we can see that the university is on the right path to becoming a top LGBTQ-friendly institution. UM offers a minor in LGBTQ studies, which it launched last year, and it offers scholarships to students who pursue it. We also welcomed Delta Lambda Phi, a gay, bisexual and progressive male fraternity.

SpectrUM has grown from holding secret meetings in undisclosed locations to prevent members from being “outed” to one of the most respected organizations on campus, with its own suite in the Student Activities Center.

The university has formed an LGBTQ task force to evaluate the campus climate and address any issues, and we are eager to discover what policy decisions this leads the administration to make.

In the meantime, DragOut was a creative way to hold an event that is not only entertaining but also educational. Not everyone wants to attend a lecture by a guest speaker, but a drag show can still bring up the conversation about social issues (like it did for The Miami Hurricane editorial board).

We encourage this type of large-scale, public collaboration between the university community and LGBTQ students and supporters on campus. Pride should be worn on our sleeves all throughout the year – not just one week out of the semester.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...