LGBTQ pride progresses on campus

Four decades ago, a student wrote a letter to The Miami Hurricane decrying the university’s support of the Gay Alliance’s use of the Rathskeller for a Valentine’s Day dance.

On Wednesday night, the LGBTQ student organization SpectrUM took over the Rat once again – but this time for DragOut, the inaugural drag show put on to raise awareness about the LGBTQ community.

This is only one of many signs that our society, this country and the University of Miami have come a long way. No matter what kind of progress is made, however, it is still important for UM students to continue to embrace diversity in gender and sexual orientation, and for advocates like SpectrUM to push for this progress.

The Campus Pride Index, which looks at LGBTQ policy inclusion, student life and more, did not rank UM among the top 25 most gay friendly colleges. We received high marks in academic life, counseling and health, and policy inclusion, but there is room for improvement in LGBTQ support and institutional commitment, recruitment and retention efforts, and housing and residential life.

Looking at our achievements on this campus so far, we can see that the university is on the right path to becoming a top LGBTQ-friendly institution. UM offers a minor in LGBTQ studies, which it launched last year, and it offers scholarships to students who pursue it. We also welcomed Delta Lambda Phi, a gay, bisexual and progressive male fraternity.

SpectrUM has grown from holding secret meetings in undisclosed locations to prevent members from being “outed” to one of the most respected organizations on campus, with its own suite in the Student Activities Center.

The university has formed an LGBTQ task force to evaluate the campus climate and address any issues, and we are eager to discover what policy decisions this leads the administration to make.

In the meantime, DragOut was a creative way to hold an event that is not only entertaining but also educational. Not everyone wants to attend a lecture by a guest speaker, but a drag show can still bring up the conversation about social issues (like it did for The Miami Hurricane editorial board).

We encourage this type of large-scale, public collaboration between the university community and LGBTQ students and supporters on campus. Pride should be worn on our sleeves all throughout the year – not just one week out of the semester.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...