Edge, Music, Reviews

‘House of Lies’ soundtrack balances genres

The third season of the Showtime favorite “House of Lies” came to a close on April 6. To celebrate the conclusion of the season and help deal with post-finale withdrawal, kick back with the show’s self-titled soundtrack and take a stroll down memory lane with some of the episodes’ catchy tunes.

For those of you who are new to the “House of Lies” bandwagon, the series is a must-see. Don Cheadle stars as a seditious, highly successful business consultant who will do whatever it takes to get his clients the information they need – even if it means compromising his morals and ethics.

Kristen Bell plays alongside Cheadle in the dark comedy series as an engagement manager and Cheadle’s love interest/dissident. The series was renewed for a fourth season coming in 2015, so keep your eyes out for the latest installment.

While you wait, pick up a copy of the show’s unforgettable soundtrack. The bluesy compilation album consists of 12 finger-snapping soulful tracks that are perfect for study music or to play while you brush up those waltzing skills.

Songs range from rock and roll to rhythm and blues to soft folk rock. There are tracks by artists such as crowd-favorite Aloe Blacc, Gary Clark Jr. and even a charming jazz number by Count Basie titled “Belly Roll.” The soundtrack alone can drive you to watch the show if you’re not already a fan.

The record opens with “Bright Lights” by Gary Clark Jr., a sassy rhythm-guitar driven track that’ll definitely have you strutting your stuff when nobody’s watching. “Bright lights, big city going to my head,” sings Clark, evoking memories for those not native to the Magic City of the first time they walked down South Beach.

In the mood for love? Switch on “This Love is Here to Stay” by the Norwegian singer-songwriter Thomas Dybdahl. Dybdahl’s suave whisper and smooth falsetto harmony is sure to make you want to dance. So get those sexy, hip-twirling moves on standby and watch the ladies and gentlemen fall at your feet.

Still feeling dancey and trancey after Ultra? “Brains Out” by Kim Cesarion will satisfy that desire. The song is reminiscent of Justin Timberlake’s legendary “Rock Your Body” and perfect for when you’re in the mood to break out that complex shoulder shake you learned off YouTube.

When you’re in the mood to wind down and get deep, check out “It Always Comes Back Around” by Michael Kiwanuka. If you’re a fan of bassy deep voices like that of Beck, then you’ll love Kiwanuka’s vocals. The track is featured on the season finale, so make sure you give it a listen.

If you’re into blues, funk and lots of soul, this album would surely float your boat. There’s a little bit of everything in there to round off a good time – so get crackin’. Even if you missed the finale, be sure to catch the show once the reruns start.

The “House of Lies (Soundtrack)” can be purchased on iTunes.

Maggy Torres-Rodriguez

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...