Football, Sports

Williams hurts ACL in practice, to undergo surgery this week

Senior Ryan Williams injured his knee during the Hurricanes’ closed spring scrimmage Friday night.

Chris Yandle, associate athletic director for communications, confirmed the news in a tweet on Saturday.

“Miami senior QB Ryan Williams suffered an ACL injury to his right knee Friday night. He will undergo surgery next week,” it read.

Williams had distanced himself in the quarterback competition throughout spring practice, and was expected to become Miami’s starter. He played behind Stephen Morris last season.

A transfer from Memphis, Williams threw four touchdowns and one interception in his four 2013 appearances. He completed 68.8 percent of his passes for a total of 369 yards.

It appeared that Williams would go head to head with redshirt freshman Kevin Olsen to determine the next Hurricanes starting quarterback, but coach Al Golden said Williams’ maturity and experience had just about secured the job.

While there is not yet a timetable for Williams to return, it is clear that Miami will start the season with him on the sideline. That means Olsen will likely take over as the starter. Sophomore Gray Crow and incoming freshman Brad Kaaya may also see time as quarterback.

Miami will play its Spring Game on Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Here is a look at the Hurricanes’ depth at quarterback, as it appears on hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of