Football, Sports

Williams hurts ACL in practice, to undergo surgery this week

Senior Ryan Williams injured his knee during the Hurricanes’ closed spring scrimmage Friday night.

Chris Yandle, associate athletic director for communications, confirmed the news in a tweet on Saturday.

“Miami senior QB Ryan Williams suffered an ACL injury to his right knee Friday night. He will undergo surgery next week,” it read.

Williams had distanced himself in the quarterback competition throughout spring practice, and was expected to become Miami’s starter. He played behind Stephen Morris last season.

A transfer from Memphis, Williams threw four touchdowns and one interception in his four 2013 appearances. He completed 68.8 percent of his passes for a total of 369 yards.

It appeared that Williams would go head to head with redshirt freshman Kevin Olsen to determine the next Hurricanes starting quarterback, but coach Al Golden said Williams’ maturity and experience had just about secured the job.

While there is not yet a timetable for Williams to return, it is clear that Miami will start the season with him on the sideline. That means Olsen will likely take over as the starter. Sophomore Gray Crow and incoming freshman Brad Kaaya may also see time as quarterback.

Miami will play its Spring Game on Saturday at Sun Life Stadium.

Here is a look at the Hurricanes’ depth at quarterback, as it appears on hurricanesports.com.

Spencer Dandes

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...