Sports briefs 4/7

Rowing

The Miami rowing team traveled to the San Diego Crew Classic and participated in the Women’s Collegiate Invitational last week.

The Canes took home a second-place finish in the 1V8+ race, its final competition. Gonzaga won the event. In the 2V8+ race, Miami’s crew finished sixth behind Gonzaga, Iowa, KSU, USD and Texas.

Next, Miami heads to Clemson, S.C. for the Tiger Invitational on April 19.

Baseball

The Hurricanes swept Virginia Tech on the road this weekend. Miami, ranked No. 24, extended its winning streak to eight games and will face Central Florida on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m., in Orlando.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...