News Briefs 4/7

Arianna Huffington

Arianna Huffington will visit the BankUnited Center at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Huffington, the chair, president and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post Media Group, will discuss her 14th book, “Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder.”  Students can visit tinyurl.com/huffingtonatUM to register and obtain tickets. Students must use the password Huffington2014 for tickets and are only eligible for one free ticket.

Bone Marrow Drive

The fourth annual Get In the Game, Save a Life Bone Marrow Drive will take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday on the Green. The drive is sponsored by UM’s football team and Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity in collaboration with the Be The Match Foundation. All students are welcome to register. Potential donors must be between 18 and 60 years old, meet health guidelines and be willing to donate to any patient in need.

DragOut 2014

SpectrUM will be hosting a drag show, DragOut 2014, 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Rathskeller. The event is designed to raise awareness of and support for the LGBTQ community and its diversity. The show will feature various performances. The event is free of charge for university students, faculty and staff with a valid Cane Card. Non-university visitors will be charged $20 admission. Proceeds will benefit SAVE Dade.

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes will take place from 3 to 5 p.m. Thursday on the Rock. Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is an international men’s march to stop rape, sexual assault and gender violence. Students may register at the Counseling Center or at tinyurl.com/UMiamiInHerShoes. All proceeds will go to Safe Space Women’s Shelter.

Art Auction

Art for Kids will host a silent art auction to raise funds for Miami Children’s Hospital from 7 to 10 p.m. on Friday in the Student Activities Center’s North and South Ballrooms. There will be artwork, food, refreshments and music.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...