News Briefs 4/7

Arianna Huffington

Arianna Huffington will visit the BankUnited Center at 5 p.m. Tuesday. Huffington, the chair, president and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post Media Group, will discuss her 14th book, “Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder.”  Students can visit tinyurl.com/huffingtonatUM to register and obtain tickets. Students must use the password Huffington2014 for tickets and are only eligible for one free ticket.

Bone Marrow Drive

The fourth annual Get In the Game, Save a Life Bone Marrow Drive will take place from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday on the Green. The drive is sponsored by UM’s football team and Delta Epsilon Psi Fraternity in collaboration with the Be The Match Foundation. All students are welcome to register. Potential donors must be between 18 and 60 years old, meet health guidelines and be willing to donate to any patient in need.

DragOut 2014

SpectrUM will be hosting a drag show, DragOut 2014, 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Rathskeller. The event is designed to raise awareness of and support for the LGBTQ community and its diversity. The show will feature various performances. The event is free of charge for university students, faculty and staff with a valid Cane Card. Non-university visitors will be charged $20 admission. Proceeds will benefit SAVE Dade.

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes

Walk a Mile in Her Shoes will take place from 3 to 5 p.m. Thursday on the Rock. Walk a Mile in Her Shoes is an international men’s march to stop rape, sexual assault and gender violence. Students may register at the Counseling Center or at tinyurl.com/UMiamiInHerShoes. All proceeds will go to Safe Space Women’s Shelter.

Art Auction

Art for Kids will host a silent art auction to raise funds for Miami Children’s Hospital from 7 to 10 p.m. on Friday in the Student Activities Center’s North and South Ballrooms. There will be artwork, food, refreshments and music.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...