V's Take

Dear V: Something’s telling me to let it go …

V,

I went on a date with this guy and then he stopped responding to my texts for a few days. Then, about a week later, he texted me with a picture of a new purchase he made. Please, I don’t care about your new water purifier. If you have time to buy new crap, you have time to text me back.

I don’t know what to do – should I give in and text him back or will that make me a doormat? 

Help, please! 

Sincerely, 

Livin’ on a text message

Dear Meg Ryan,

You are neither the first, nor the last woman, to go through this.

It’s always a hassle and it always sucks. And I’m sorry.

The easy answer is that he’s just not that into you and you should move on with your life. And I know I say that a lot but it’s true. We don’t have time to be wasting on people who aren’t interested in us.

The tough answer is that you should call him out on his bullish*t. It might be a little early for the “where are we going” talk but still, if something that he’s doing bothers you, you should be up front about it with him.

I don’t think you’ll become his doormat – especially since you’re just seeing each other.

Plus, what kind of a hippie do you have to be to be excited about a water purifier? Maybe he’s just trying to start conversation because he realized he should be speaking to you.

On the other side of the same coin, since it’s early in your relationship, he really isn’t required to be texting you all the time. You’re at that point where you can give each other some room to breathe without feeling like you’re doing each other a disservice. What you have to do is ask yourself whether or not you want to keep seeing him.

Just take it slow and text him back. You can wait a few hours and make him sweat a little bit just to keep the mystery alive.

Meg and Tom went through their fair share of obstacles before becoming the happy, lovey dovey, rom-com couple that we all know and love. I have faith that you’ll find happiness with your own NY152 and if not, Shopgirl can always snuggle up next to a fire with a copy of “Pride and Prejudice” and dream about Mr. Darcy.

Advice Columnist

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...