Greek Life, News

Pike house construction continues despite chapter suspension

The Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity’s (Pike) house is still being constructed, despite the chapter’s suspension from campus at a minimum of four years. The ban began near the end of 2013.

Plans for the Pike house were set into motion, before the fraternity was suspended.

According to a 2013 press release from Pike’s national branch, UM’s chapter lost its charter for “violations of university and fraternity risk awareness policies.” Nationals and UM administration did not release further information about the violations.

The house is expected to be finished around December, according to Dan Corah, Pike’s real estate officer. Another Greek organization will occupy the house until Pike is re-established.

Corah said that his office, White Horse Holding Co., is discussing options with several different Greek organizations. The university does not have a role in this decision. The Interfraternity Council (IFC) is also not involved in determining which organization will rent the house.

“As far as I know, the Pike housing corporation will be renting the house out to students until such a time comes that the chapter is back on campus,” said Brad Bradshaw, president of IFC.

The house, which is being contracted by Bellin & Pratt Architects, LLC, is on San Amaro Drive. Plans for the two-story house include an outdoor lounge, a lavish pool area and covered spaces for parking.

Steve Priepke, the assistant dean of students and director of Greek Life, is excited at the prospect of a new house on campus. According to Priepke, the last fraternity house built at UM was for the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Fraternity, which opened in 2009, according to an article published in The Miami Hurricane.

“It will be very exciting when it’s open to see it and to see what they do differently than the other ones,” Priepke said. “Everybody always has a different version of what they think the perfect fraternity house will be.”

The one question that remains throughout this process: What will happen when Pike re-colonizes?

Corah said that the house will not be automatically transferred to the re-established Pike chapter. New members will have to take time to “establish themselves and get organized” before they are allowed to move into the house.

“We like to make sure that a new group is capable of handling the responsibility of a house,” he said. “It’s not an automatic thing.”

Marlee Lisker

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s 18,000-square-foot fitness room named in honor of Norm ...

University of Miami theatre arts students and faculty members come together for a whirlwind day to c ...

The #SuperCoralPlay campaign combines education and outreach with research and restoration efforts t ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Emily Becker is part of a dream team of scientists that will present it ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a spectacular performance in singles play Monday to con ...

The Canes will open the 2020 season with multiple top-5 preseason rankings for the first time since ...

Senior Raheem Chambers boasted an NCAA-leading 60m time in the final on Saturday at the Vanderbilt I ...

In recognition of Martin Luther King Day, Miami Athletics' Student Athlete Advisory Committee ( ...

Miami tops Georgia Southern, 5-0, Sunday night. ...