Profiles, Sports

Gym employee creates award to honor director

Daniel Diaz is most likely to be found in one of three places: at the Wellness Center’s “Canes crossfit” class, running around the Wellness Center keeping things in order, or at the School of Engineering dreaming up the next social media phenomenon.

“After I graduate I really want to get my MBA and start up my own entrepreneurship,” said Diaz, who is originally from Miami. “I had this idea that came to me one day that I thought was so unique and had the possibility of growing to be as popular as Google or Facebook.”

The mechanical engineering student is the facility supervisor and chair of the Wellness Advisory Council. Diaz is also the founder of the Norman C. Parsons, Jr. Lifetime Achievement Award.

“Danny is a great example of a student maximizing opportunities at the university … he is truly an exceptional young man,” said Parsons, director of the Wellness Center.

Diaz has been an active athlete all his life, playing volleyball, badminton, football and ice hockey throughout his childhood and high school career. When he came to Miami, he started out as a lifeguard but wanted to contribute further to fitness on campus.

“Right when I was hired I knew that I wanted to be a facility supervisor,” he said. “I knew I could do more and lead a staff alongside others.”

Diaz’s responsibilities as facility supervisor include managing all aspects of day-to-day Wellness Center operations, such as the front desk and the pool. As chair of the advisory board, he is in charge of setting meetings and updating members on Wellness Center activity.

“Danny is not one to sit on the sidelines and let his team do all the work,” said David Furones, operations coordinator and Diaz’s direct supervisor at the center. “He’s always showing the utmost initiative, and his positive attitude permeates through all the other employees on his shifts.”

Despite holding such important positions at the Wellness Center, Diaz says that his greatest accomplishment is founding the Lifetime Achievement award.

It recognizes the longtime director of the Wellness Center employee who recently announced his retirement.

The award “recognizes Norm, the director of the Wellness Center, for his lifetime of commitment and contribution not just to the lives of students within the Wellness Center but those across campus,” according to Diaz.

The award will be given from the student organization suite presidents in the Student Activities Center to staff, administrators and faculty who have greatly impacted student life during their time at the university.

The winner of the award will have his or her name engraved on a plaque that hangs in the student center and will receive a personal plaque as well.

“To be able to honor Norm as the first recipient just before his retirement and my graduation has been a blessing,” Diaz said.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...