Profiles, Sports

Gym employee creates award to honor director

Daniel Diaz is most likely to be found in one of three places: at the Wellness Center’s “Canes crossfit” class, running around the Wellness Center keeping things in order, or at the School of Engineering dreaming up the next social media phenomenon.

“After I graduate I really want to get my MBA and start up my own entrepreneurship,” said Diaz, who is originally from Miami. “I had this idea that came to me one day that I thought was so unique and had the possibility of growing to be as popular as Google or Facebook.”

The mechanical engineering student is the facility supervisor and chair of the Wellness Advisory Council. Diaz is also the founder of the Norman C. Parsons, Jr. Lifetime Achievement Award.

“Danny is a great example of a student maximizing opportunities at the university … he is truly an exceptional young man,” said Parsons, director of the Wellness Center.

Diaz has been an active athlete all his life, playing volleyball, badminton, football and ice hockey throughout his childhood and high school career. When he came to Miami, he started out as a lifeguard but wanted to contribute further to fitness on campus.

“Right when I was hired I knew that I wanted to be a facility supervisor,” he said. “I knew I could do more and lead a staff alongside others.”

Diaz’s responsibilities as facility supervisor include managing all aspects of day-to-day Wellness Center operations, such as the front desk and the pool. As chair of the advisory board, he is in charge of setting meetings and updating members on Wellness Center activity.

“Danny is not one to sit on the sidelines and let his team do all the work,” said David Furones, operations coordinator and Diaz’s direct supervisor at the center. “He’s always showing the utmost initiative, and his positive attitude permeates through all the other employees on his shifts.”

Despite holding such important positions at the Wellness Center, Diaz says that his greatest accomplishment is founding the Lifetime Achievement award.

It recognizes the longtime director of the Wellness Center employee who recently announced his retirement.

The award “recognizes Norm, the director of the Wellness Center, for his lifetime of commitment and contribution not just to the lives of students within the Wellness Center but those across campus,” according to Diaz.

The award will be given from the student organization suite presidents in the Student Activities Center to staff, administrators and faculty who have greatly impacted student life during their time at the university.

The winner of the award will have his or her name engraved on a plaque that hangs in the student center and will receive a personal plaque as well.

“To be able to honor Norm as the first recipient just before his retirement and my graduation has been a blessing,” Diaz said.

Rachel Cox-Rosen

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...