Edge, Fashion

Fashionable trends to stand out this spring

With spring approaching, most of the country is trading heavy winter clothes for jackets and flats. But for those of us in the Sunshine State, the southern heat calls for a much lighter wardrobe. It can be tricky to dress weather-appropriate and retain the spring “look,” but by following these tips, any Miami girl can stay cool and look the part for the upcoming season.

Coloring

The most important aspect of a fabulous spring wardrobe is the color scheme. This season, the most popular shades are coral, electric blue, watermelon, canary yellow and soft peach. It’s best to choose an outfit that focuses on one of these hues with muted complementary colors for other pieces. For example, a bright yellow blouse could be paired with white jeans, straw wedges and wooden jewelry.

The best complementary colors for this season are white and brown, rather than black. Black points to winter and is tough to wear in the Miami heat, but it can be used in small doses.

Top Trends

The hottest trend this season is colored jeans, particularly in coral, light pink, deep blue, mint and white. Skinny jeans are especially in and can be worn with almost any kind of shoe.

Another important trend is cropped jackets, especially in light fabrics, like cotton and denim materials.  The same colors still work for jackets, but brown is always a classic shade to have.

Because these styles can sometimes be hard to pull off in the Miami heat, it is best to mix and match. For example, pair a light coral jacket with jean shorts and sandals, or mint colored jeans with a white cotton tank top and wedges.

Dresses

Nothing screams springtime like a classy dress. This can also be in a bright color, or in a crisp white or ivory. These dresses should be very tailored and are best worn with flats or wedges. Peplum style is also very popular and fun, so play it up. For a more casual look, try a skater dress in spring hues with sneakers or sandals, and simple accessories

Accessories

Springtime is all about accessories. Make a statement with a big, bold necklace that is the opposite color of your stand-out piece. For example, wear an electric blue tank top with a bright yellow necklace to complement the outfit. Large, chunky bracelets are also in, as are rings.

A classic bag is also important to have for the spring. It’s always good to have a brown tote, but this season is a fun time to experiment with bright colored bags in colors like yellow and pink. These are easy ways for a Miami girl to stay chic and trendy while dealing with the heat.

Alexandra DiBacco

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...