Do the ‘happiness challenge’ genuinely

Most college students can relate to the feeling of being wrapped up in a scandalous Facebook post or following what is trending on Twitter. In this age of social media, it seems like our real lives sometimes come second to our lives on the web.

This is why the newest online phenomenon, the 100 Days of Happiness Challenge, is a great way to integrate social media with overall attitude and well-being. It’s a challenge that aligns with our lifestyle, and the concept is simple. Each day, you capture something that makes you happy and upload it to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram with the hashtag #100happydays.

The act of setting a goal can entirely change one’s mentality. However, the individual must have the right intentions. Completing this challenge for social acceptance negates its entire purpose.

Many people use social media to create a socially acceptable image of a happier, more composed and better version of themselves. Many are faking it – those happy status updates and smiling pictures don’t tell an entire story.

If one chooses to take the challenge, he or she should make sure his or her motivations are pure. If you are doing it as just another tool to garner likes and favorites, then don’t bother.

With the overwhelming number of apps for dating, chatting and tracking almost any aspect of our lives, we need to be certain that we also take the time to focus on actually living our lives.

After all, what should be most important is a happy life and not just a #happylife.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...