Campus housing requires housekeeping

The residential colleges, as we know them, have not been renovated since the 1980s, with the exception of a touch-up to Stanford’s lobby last year.

The Miami Hurricane inquired within the Department of Housing and Residential Life about plans for revamping housing in the future, and Housing’s Executive Director, James Smart, told us about the possibility of a decade-long plan to renovate or reconstruct existing dorms and the addition of a new building.

While plans to remodel are welcome, we don’t understand why it has taken 30 years to address the housing situation.

In the past, students’ relationship with housing has been rocky. Students are forced off campus, and some even end up living in hotels across the street while paying for room and board to UM. Then, in 2006, there was a light at the end of the hall … or so we thought.

UM added the UV, but there is still clearly not enough housing for the growing student body.

Now, there is talk about a possible 10-year plan, but this means a decade worth of students dealing with the same housing problems, plus additional construction nightmares.

The dorms themselves are in need of a major facelift. Replacing corroded faucets or terrible mattresses would be quick fixes that would make a huge difference in quality of living for residents.

If UM were to demolish any dorms, they would have to have another building already constructed to house students. But it does not sound as though additional housing is as much of a priority as renovations.

Also, Smart said that renovations would start with the “neediest” dorms, Hecht and Stanford. The plan to make the first-year dorms more communal suggests a plan to draw in prospective students and does not address current issues.

Smart mentioned the need for a stronger community feel to the freshman dorms, but the real problems lay in the upperclassman dorms, Mahoney and Pearson. Freshman dorms focus on community and group activities, but the upperclassman dorms are relatively shut out from the rest of campus.

We understand that rushing construction leads to faulty buildings, such as the un-waterproofed UV, which flooded constantly until the problem was recently addressed. However, the priority should be to renovate current dorms, not to begin new construction.

Overall, the long-term plans to renovate are good, but we need a quicker solution for the present.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...