Break the silence behind bad breakdowns

Because we think breakdowns are an exhibition of mental exhaustion and instability, we don’t tell anyone when a normal night turns into a cry fest. I am not referring to breakdowns caused by breakups or bad friends, but instead the gut-wrenching, jaw-locking academics-induced turmoil of “I can’t handle my life.”

With tons of tests, future careers to worry about and feeling tired to the point of impaired motor skills and dazed interaction, the widespread yet little-talked-about student breakdown is often only suffered in the company of oneself and one’s pillows, hidden from sight, with the courteous intention to not make anyone else uncomfortable.

Sometimes, we freak out and lose sight of what really matters. We’re cruel to ourselves, and we can’t seem to let things go.

I have let this phenomenon massacre my nerves many times, and if you’re done pretending to be perpetually poised, let’s go ahead and admit now that you have, too.

These wet-eyed, red-faced episodes are seen in such a taboo light because of society’s desperate desire to quiet down chaos and promote higher order. The assumption is that if one person acts out, displaying dissatisfaction, everyone else might start screaming their heads off, too.

Yet if you’re bawling in your room, and then dutifully splash your face and go to class, how can you ensure that it won’t happen again? I don’t believe in the notion that having “a good cry” gets out all the poison and makes everything better. If you’re in a wild fit of despair, there’s probably a serious reason behind it that you couldn’t throw out with the tissues.

Using the Social Adjustment Rating Scale, researchers have found that when undergraduate college students rank various life events in terms of stress, “Had a lot of tests” is second only to “Death (family member or friend),” while “Parents getting a divorce” is ranked No. 19.

Basically, what you might have thought to be the most horrible event in your life is actually far overshadowed by something that should be considered more of a nuisance than a severe stressor. Because we’re quick to view regular measures of comprehension as regular measures of intelligence, the pressure to prove ourselves quite literally keeps us up at night. But this is absurd.

You don’t offer a GPA to the world. You offer amazing qualities, like work ethic and creativity. We bring pain upon ourselves when we choose to give something of little meaning such high a place on the shelf, instead of honoring our true assets. Your grades cannot measure the capacity of what you’re capable. Nothing really can, because there’s no limit.

Hunter Wright is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Hunter Wright

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...