News, Profiles

Award-winning photographer to focus on personal projects

Photojournalism professor Maggie Steber spoke about her work in Haiti in the Special Collections at the Richter Library on February 20th. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

Photojournalist Maggie Steber once attended a birthday party in Havana with Fidel Castro and ate grilled goat on a little farm with Nobel Prize-winning author Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Later she fell in love with Haiti, which she calls “haunted, magical, beautiful, tortured … a singular place.”

For the past three years, the award-winning photographer has taught at the University of Miami’s School of Communication. At the end of this semester, Steber will return to her primary passion – photography.

“I’m a freelance photographer and If I continue to teach here I think I would have to make the decision to totally devote myself to teaching because I don’t want to short-shrift the students … I have some projects I’d like to do and I can’t devote myself to right now because I have an obligation to my wonderful students.”

Students like alumna Cayla Nimmo were inspired by Steber’s obligation to her students.

“Maggie is the kind of professor whose dedication extends far beyond office hours,” said Nimmo, who graduated in visual journalism in 2013. “She would sit for hours going through portfolios and writing letters of recommendation.”

Born and raised in Texas by a single mother, Steber worked 30 hours a week while being a full-time college student.  Then, armed with a degree in journalism and a certificate in photography, she landed her first job at the Galveston Daily News where she did everything: writing headlines, obituaries, police reports and of course, taking photos.

“I think I was so lucky to have that job because I learned how to write as well as photograph. And I also found out that I’m not really much of a small town gal … [so]I went to New York to seek my fortune,” Steber said.

She applied for a job at the Associated Press (AP), which was then male-dominated.

“They were under enormous pressure to hire a woman picture editor … They hired me and I loved it,” she said. “I could write a caption like that and I was good at it under pressure.”

AP sent Steber to cover the Olympics in Moscow, Sarajevo and Canada as well as other high-profile assignments.

“Just writing good captions took me all over the world,” she said, laughing.

She left AP to freelance in Africa. Later, for the 25th anniversary of the Cuban Revolution, Newsweek sent Steber to Cuba with Patricia Sethi, a journalist, who was determined to interview Fidel Castro.

Then she turned her cameras on Haiti in 1986 and kept going back. Last year, a group of her students created a website showcasing Steber’s work in Haiti. The website is audacityofbeauty.com.

“It’s not so much that you choose Haiti, but it chooses you,” Steber said. “If she doesn’t want you there she will do everything in her power to make you run screaming to the airport …  But it’s worse if she chooses you because she really wrings you out, she wrings your heart out and she wrings your pocketbook out and you get gray hairs and wrinkles from working in Haiti … If you can survive that you have been given a huge gift.”

Her images of Haiti won the prestigious Alicia Patterson Foundation grant and a collection of those photographs was published in “Dancing on Fire: Photographs from Haiti.”

From 1999 to 2003, Steber worked at The Miami Herald as assistant managing editor for photography.

In 2007, she received a grant to design a newspaper prototype at the Knight Center for International Media at UM.

Ashley Zimmerman

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...