News, Obituaries

Vigil held in remembrance of freshman

University of Miami students gathered to celebrate the life of Melissa Ribeiro, freshman and sister of Delta Phi Epsilon, who passed away Wednesday night after a sudden illness. Torie O'Neil // Contributing Photographer

University of Miami students gathered to celebrate the life of Melissa Ribeiro, freshman and sister of Delta Phi Epsilon, who passed away Wednesday night after a sudden illness. Torie O’Neil // Contributing Photographer

Sophomore Stephanie Alcala remembers sharing a bowl of “SpongeBob SquarePants” macaroni and cheese with freshman Melissa Ribeiro.

Alcala, who later became her big sister in the Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority (DPhiE), recalls that that is the moment when she knew their bond had formed. Alcala said that Ribeiro preferred the cartoon macaroni and cheese because the crevices had more room to make the taste cheesier.

Ribeiro passed away Wednesday night after a short illness that has not been publicly disclosed. The University of Miami organized a candlelight vigil in her memory. Her parents, sister, school administrators and hundreds of students attended.

“She was a hidden gem,” Alcala said at the vigil. “She was an amazing, special person, and I am so lucky to have been graced by her beautiful soul.”

The vigil was held at the UC Patio. To express their support, those in attendance wore purple and yellow, the colors of DPhiE.

Patricia Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, issued opening remarks. She expressed the importance of the university gathering together to remember Ribeiro.

Rev. Skip Flynn, the chaplain for UM’s Counseling Center, led the ceremony’s prayers. His remarks echoed the impact of Ribeiro’s loss.

“She made the greatest friends of her life here,” Flynn said.

After the chaplain issued final remarks, Danielle Poreh, DPhiE president, included the public in a sisterhood ritual called “The Rose Story.”

The ceremony concluded with a silent reflection. Those who attended the ceremony also had the opportunity to sign a guest book.

Ribeiro passed away at a local hospital from a recent illness.

According to her Facebook page, Ribeiro attended Montgomery High School in Skillman, N.J. She was studying at UM’s School of Business and lived in Hecht Residential College.

President Donna E. Shalala released a statement to express sentiments regarding Ribeiro’s death.

“The University of Miami community mourns the death of Melissa Ribeiro after a short illness,” Shalala said. “… She was sensitive, caring, talented, and had a passion for those treated unjustly. Our thoughts and prayers are with Melissa’s family and friends.”

On March 24, Ribeiro was inducted into the Alpha Lambda Delta Honor Society for freshmen.

Whitely sent a letter to students on Thursday afternoon to address concerns.

“There have been several inquiries relating to whether there is a public health risk,” Whitely wrote. “The Department of Health and the UM Student Health Service have determined that there is no evidence of such a risk, and no other students are presenting with a similar condition.”

Whitely also expressed her sentiments about the student’s passing.

“She was giving and passionate about life,” Whitely wrote. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Melissa’s family and friends.”

Alexander Gonzalez contributed to this report.

University chaplains and the Counseling Center staff are available to students in need. For more information, visit miami.edu/chaplains, or contact the Counseling Center at 305-284-5511. The Student Health Center is also available at 305-284-9100 or through email at studenthealth@miami.edu.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...