News Briefs 3/31

International week

International Week 2014: Discover the Unknown – Hidden Treasures from Around the World will be held between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. and 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the UC Patio.

Asia Night will take place Monday and will showcase cultural cuisine.

Students will have the chance to make flower leis, eat traditional island sweets and learn about the culture of the Pacific Islands on Tuesday night.

Wednesday night will feature African and Caribbean food and activities.

Middle Eastern night will be on Thursday and will showcase musical performances and belly performers. Hummus and falafel will be served.

The week’s festivities will conclude with the World of Feast on Friday, which will feature cuisine from Europe and Latin America.

Creativity seminar

UM will host the first international seminar on innovation for content creation from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.  Thursday at the Cosford Cinema. Marlon Quintero, a television producer and content creator, will conduct the seminar. Guest panelists include Ligiah Villalobos, writer for the NBC show “ED,” and Eric Foster, a music producer for artists such as Britney Spears and Whitney Houston. For more information, email infoseminar@cicmedia.tv.

Arianna Huffington

Arianna Huffington will visit the BankUnited Center at 5 p.m. April 8. Huffington, the chair, president and editor-in-chief of the Huffington Post Media Group, will discuss her 14th book, “Thrive: The Third Metric to Redefining Success and Creating a Life of Well-Being, Wisdom, and Wonder.”  Students can visit tinyurl.com/huffingtonatUM to register and obtain tickets. Students must use the password Huffington2014 for tickets and are only eligible for one free ticket.

Passover seders 

UM Hillel will be offering Passover Seders, as well as lunch and dinner throughout the Passover holiday from April 14 to April 22. Pre-registration is required, and the deadline is 5 p.m. on April 7. Students, parents, faculty and community members can register at miamihillel.org/shabbat_and_holidays/passover.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...