Cross Country/Track and Field, Featured, Sports

Hurricanes finish with 13 victories at Miami Invitational

Sophomore Alysha Newman finished first in the pole vault at the Miami Invitational track meet on Saturday afternoon. Monica Herndon // Photo Editor

The ominous forecast had no effect on the UM track and field program’s performance at the Miami Invitational on Saturday.

Fans lined up to watch the Canes compete against teams from across Florida in a full day of events.

The Hurricanes sought to build off the momentum from last week’s double-digit win total at the Hurricane Invitational to claim another commanding victory at Cobb Stadium.

Miami ended up winning 13 events for a second straight meet.

“We always love running at home,” track and field director Amy Deem said. “It’s a great opportunity to showcase our program in front of family and friends.”

The winds grew more powerful as the hours passed. Distance runner AJ Ricketts said the conditions made things a little difficult, but he managed to use “drafting,” a skill where a runner positions himself behind someone to block the wind, as his way of navigating the race.

“We can be running in the snow, we can be running in the rain, we just have to face through adversity and compete,” Deem said as she overlooked her runners.

The women shined at the invitational, earning Miami nine out of their 13 wins. Freshman Shakima Wimbley won the women’s 200m with a personal-best time of 23.33 seconds, and Jamika Glades and Kayann Richards finished first and second in the women’s 100m hurdles.

“I was very pleased with Amber [Monroe] and Shakima, but I was really happy to see Jamika Glades step up,” Deem said.

On the men’s side, sophomore John-Patrick Friday won the triple jump with a 15.26m mark that ranks third in UM history. His tremendous athleticism has helped him compete against some of the best high jumpers in the nation.

“JP was really big for us in the jumps area,” Deem said.

In the 400m dash, Anthony Wolliston placed fourth. However, the story out of this race came not from Wolliston, but from Jamal Walton.

A 15-year-old from Miami Gardens, Walton managed second place in a tough race against college athletes.

“I feel really special. It all feels great,” Walton said. “I expected to come in first, though, not second. My legs gave out the last 15 meters.”

Wearing light blue Captain America socks with wings spread on each side, the rising star was sent to the Miami Invitational in an attempt to break the Junior Olympics record in the 400m. Walton will likely be a heavily recruited runner in the years to come.

Miami, meanwhile, has its eyes set on the ACC Championships starting April 17 in North Carolina. Deem and her runners will use the confidence from their two strong showings at home to capitalize in the upcoming performance among the ACC’s elite.

Alejandro Narciso

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...