Students spend time serving communities

Before heading out for spring break, The Miami Hurricane featured different ways a student could their week off. A group of graduate students traveled to Guatemala to film documentaries related to social justice issues. Meanwhile, UM Alternative Breaks took students across the country do service work for various causes. We take a look back at the alternative ways students spent their spring break.

1.  Sophomore Neela Persad digs a hole to plant a tree using a bucket as a frame at Harvest Farms, an addiction recovery center for men in Wellington, Colo.

“It was kind of calming because I would do the work silently by myself and think about things in my life or think about what someone of the rehabilitation facility just told me and just reflect upon their story,” sophomore Neela Persad said.

Photo courtesy UM Alternative Break

2. First-year motion picture graduate students Robert Taylor, Fnu Mingtian, and Kafayat Adegbenro document a woman washing laundry on the shores of Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. The students were part of a motion pictures trip to the country that was tasked with shooting short documentaries on local social and health issues.

“It definitely opens your eyes to tell stories for a different number of people, you meet more characters, you see their culture, so you have more information to describe worlds or people that you want to tell stories about,” said Zulena Segarra-Berrios, second year graduate student.

Photo courtesy Robin Canfield from Actuality Media

3. Professor Ed Talavera and motion picture graduate student Zulena Segarra-Berrios shoot a HIV/AIDS activist in an HIV clinic in Guatemala City.

“You realize that you don’t have to have the giant crew and the big budget that sometimes you can make interesting and thought provoking stories with very little and a small crew,” said Ronnie Khalil, first-year M.F.A. student.

Alysha Khan // Contributing Photographer

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...