SG wraps up the year

Dear Canes,

What a year it’s been. Just about one year ago, Justin, Robby, our executive board and I took office. Through the hard work and dedication of the entire Student Government (SG) team we’ve completed initiatives and done our best to represent you. It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as your SG president.

We began our term by improving the internal structure of SG to better meet your needs.  We worked throughout the summer to get a head start on our initiatives and in the past year we’ve completed many of the projects that we campaigned on, such as building an outdoor fitness court, bringing smoothies to the dining halls, starting shuttles to Dadeland, adding outdoor seating in the dining halls and starting a freshman walk at football games. With only a year in office, however, it’s impossible to do everything. We’ve made significant progress on some of our bigger initiatives such as providing Metro passes to students who need to travel to the medical campus and bringing “Greek Street” to the bookstore. As we transition to the new executive board, we are updating them on the status of these projects and ensuring that the progress continues throughout the next term.

To my fellow SG members: Thank you for constantly challenging me to be the best I could. Thank you for your support. Thank you for working so diligently throughout the year. Thank you for your service to our university.

Four years have passed more quickly than we could have ever imagined. While I am sad to be closing this chapter, I am excited for what the future brings. To the class of 2014: We’ve spent our days running from classes to work to meetings and we’ve spent our evenings and weekends exploring the city that surrounds us. Our peers have become our family, and our professors and administrators have become our mentors. In just a few short weeks, our time as undergraduate students will be over, but the memories we’ve made, the relationships we’ve created and the lessons we’ve learned will live on forever. We are members of the U family and we are Canes for life.

Thank you for everything.

Bhumi Patel

Student Body President, 2013-2014

P.S. Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Bhumi Patel is a senior majoring in exercise physiology

Bhumi Patel

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...