SG wraps up the year

Dear Canes,

What a year it’s been. Just about one year ago, Justin, Robby, our executive board and I took office. Through the hard work and dedication of the entire Student Government (SG) team we’ve completed initiatives and done our best to represent you. It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as your SG president.

We began our term by improving the internal structure of SG to better meet your needs.  We worked throughout the summer to get a head start on our initiatives and in the past year we’ve completed many of the projects that we campaigned on, such as building an outdoor fitness court, bringing smoothies to the dining halls, starting shuttles to Dadeland, adding outdoor seating in the dining halls and starting a freshman walk at football games. With only a year in office, however, it’s impossible to do everything. We’ve made significant progress on some of our bigger initiatives such as providing Metro passes to students who need to travel to the medical campus and bringing “Greek Street” to the bookstore. As we transition to the new executive board, we are updating them on the status of these projects and ensuring that the progress continues throughout the next term.

To my fellow SG members: Thank you for constantly challenging me to be the best I could. Thank you for your support. Thank you for working so diligently throughout the year. Thank you for your service to our university.

Four years have passed more quickly than we could have ever imagined. While I am sad to be closing this chapter, I am excited for what the future brings. To the class of 2014: We’ve spent our days running from classes to work to meetings and we’ve spent our evenings and weekends exploring the city that surrounds us. Our peers have become our family, and our professors and administrators have become our mentors. In just a few short weeks, our time as undergraduate students will be over, but the memories we’ve made, the relationships we’ve created and the lessons we’ve learned will live on forever. We are members of the U family and we are Canes for life.

Thank you for everything.

Bhumi Patel

Student Body President, 2013-2014

P.S. Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Bhumi Patel is a senior majoring in exercise physiology

Bhumi Patel

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...