SG wraps up the year

Dear Canes,

What a year it’s been. Just about one year ago, Justin, Robby, our executive board and I took office. Through the hard work and dedication of the entire Student Government (SG) team we’ve completed initiatives and done our best to represent you. It has been an honor and a privilege to serve as your SG president.

We began our term by improving the internal structure of SG to better meet your needs.  We worked throughout the summer to get a head start on our initiatives and in the past year we’ve completed many of the projects that we campaigned on, such as building an outdoor fitness court, bringing smoothies to the dining halls, starting shuttles to Dadeland, adding outdoor seating in the dining halls and starting a freshman walk at football games. With only a year in office, however, it’s impossible to do everything. We’ve made significant progress on some of our bigger initiatives such as providing Metro passes to students who need to travel to the medical campus and bringing “Greek Street” to the bookstore. As we transition to the new executive board, we are updating them on the status of these projects and ensuring that the progress continues throughout the next term.

To my fellow SG members: Thank you for constantly challenging me to be the best I could. Thank you for your support. Thank you for working so diligently throughout the year. Thank you for your service to our university.

Four years have passed more quickly than we could have ever imagined. While I am sad to be closing this chapter, I am excited for what the future brings. To the class of 2014: We’ve spent our days running from classes to work to meetings and we’ve spent our evenings and weekends exploring the city that surrounds us. Our peers have become our family, and our professors and administrators have become our mentors. In just a few short weeks, our time as undergraduate students will be over, but the memories we’ve made, the relationships we’ve created and the lessons we’ve learned will live on forever. We are members of the U family and we are Canes for life.

Thank you for everything.

Bhumi Patel

Student Body President, 2013-2014

P.S. Let us know what SG can do for you by stopping by the SG Office in SAC 210 or finding us on online at facebook.com/UMiamiSG, twitter.com/UMiamiSG and miami.edu/sg.

Bhumi Patel is a senior majoring in exercise physiology

Bhumi Patel

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...