Departments join forces to solve crime

The University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) and the Coral Gables Police Department joined forces and arrested two individuals linked to robberies involving UM students.

The two defendants are specifically thought to be involved in the robbery that took place on March 16.

The victim and the witness were walking to campus close to midnight when one defendant took the victim’s purse from her hand.

The other defendant served as the lookout when the robbery took place.

The two then left the scene and were seen trying to use a stolen debit card at the 7-Eleven located off Miller Drive.

On Friday, the two defendants confessed to robberies at the UMPD station.

The two were asked to go to the station after members from both UMPD and the Coral Gables Police Department saw that their descriptions matched the video surveillance from the 7-Eleven where the card was declined.

According to the press release issued by the Coral Gables Police Department, both have been arrested and each have been charged with one count of robbery by sudden snatching without a weapon.

They are both at the Miami-Dade County jail.

“UMPD immediately beefed up security after the arrests and continue to maintain a safe campus environment,” said Margot Winick, the assistant vice president of UM Communications.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...