Departments join forces to solve crime

The University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) and the Coral Gables Police Department joined forces and arrested two individuals linked to robberies involving UM students.

The two defendants are specifically thought to be involved in the robbery that took place on March 16.

The victim and the witness were walking to campus close to midnight when one defendant took the victim’s purse from her hand.

The other defendant served as the lookout when the robbery took place.

The two then left the scene and were seen trying to use a stolen debit card at the 7-Eleven located off Miller Drive.

On Friday, the two defendants confessed to robberies at the UMPD station.

The two were asked to go to the station after members from both UMPD and the Coral Gables Police Department saw that their descriptions matched the video surveillance from the 7-Eleven where the card was declined.

According to the press release issued by the Coral Gables Police Department, both have been arrested and each have been charged with one count of robbery by sudden snatching without a weapon.

They are both at the Miami-Dade County jail.

“UMPD immediately beefed up security after the arrests and continue to maintain a safe campus environment,” said Margot Winick, the assistant vice president of UM Communications.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ high-profile quarterback competition just got super spicy. Tate Martell, the 2 ...

Lots of Hurricanes nuggets on the first day of spring practice: ▪ The UM offense officially entered ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...

Going a perfect 5-0 in doubles action, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias collected Miami ...