Departments join forces to solve crime

The University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) and the Coral Gables Police Department joined forces and arrested two individuals linked to robberies involving UM students.

The two defendants are specifically thought to be involved in the robbery that took place on March 16.

The victim and the witness were walking to campus close to midnight when one defendant took the victim’s purse from her hand.

The other defendant served as the lookout when the robbery took place.

The two then left the scene and were seen trying to use a stolen debit card at the 7-Eleven located off Miller Drive.

On Friday, the two defendants confessed to robberies at the UMPD station.

The two were asked to go to the station after members from both UMPD and the Coral Gables Police Department saw that their descriptions matched the video surveillance from the 7-Eleven where the card was declined.

According to the press release issued by the Coral Gables Police Department, both have been arrested and each have been charged with one count of robbery by sudden snatching without a weapon.

They are both at the Miami-Dade County jail.

“UMPD immediately beefed up security after the arrests and continue to maintain a safe campus environment,” said Margot Winick, the assistant vice president of UM Communications.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...