Sports Briefs 3/24

Monique Albuquerque and her partner Clementina Riobueno won their match 8-4, helping to lead Miami to victory over Syracuse on Friday. Victoria McKaba // Contributing Photographer

Women’s tennis

Miami had a big weekend as it extended a long winning streak against two ACC opponents.

The No. 13 Hurricanes first took down Syracuse 7-0 at home on Friday, and then traveled to Winston-Salem, N.C., to face Wake Forest on Sunday. Miami won that battle easily, 6-1.

The women’s team improved to 14-2 overall, with a perfect 8-0 conference record. They will carry their 10-match winning streak into an April 5 matchup with North Carolina.

Men’s tennis

The Canes played arguably their best match of the season and earned a hard win over No. 18 Wake Forest on Saturday.

“I am so proud of the guys,” coach Mario Rincon said. ”They have worked so hard for this in practice and in their conditioning.”

Of note: Gabriel Flores cruised past Adam Lee 6-1, 6-0 and Omar Aly took care of No. 20 Romain Bogaerts 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) to secure the victory.

Track and field 

Miami turned in a strong performance at the Hurricane Invitational, the first of three track and field meets  at home this season.

The Canes notched 11 wins on the second day of competition.

“It was a very good start for us,” coach Amy Deem said. “We’re still training through these meets, but I thought the effort was there.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

As vaping becomes more prevalent among the nation’s youth, the University of Miami is working to ste ...

Two Category 5 storms and an unusual number of weak and short-lived storms characterize a season tha ...

Days ahead of Veterans Day, ’Canes across campus worked together to build care packages for deployed ...

Walter Mercado, who died Nov.2, will be buried in his native Puerto Rico on Friday after two days of ...

The new facility will be modeled after the Lennar Foundation Medical Center at the Coral Gables camp ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.