Sports Briefs 3/24

Monique Albuquerque and her partner Clementina Riobueno won their match 8-4, helping to lead Miami to victory over Syracuse on Friday. Victoria McKaba // Contributing Photographer

Women’s tennis

Miami had a big weekend as it extended a long winning streak against two ACC opponents.

The No. 13 Hurricanes first took down Syracuse 7-0 at home on Friday, and then traveled to Winston-Salem, N.C., to face Wake Forest on Sunday. Miami won that battle easily, 6-1.

The women’s team improved to 14-2 overall, with a perfect 8-0 conference record. They will carry their 10-match winning streak into an April 5 matchup with North Carolina.

Men’s tennis

The Canes played arguably their best match of the season and earned a hard win over No. 18 Wake Forest on Saturday.

“I am so proud of the guys,” coach Mario Rincon said. ”They have worked so hard for this in practice and in their conditioning.”

Of note: Gabriel Flores cruised past Adam Lee 6-1, 6-0 and Omar Aly took care of No. 20 Romain Bogaerts 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) to secure the victory.

Track and field 

Miami turned in a strong performance at the Hurricane Invitational, the first of three track and field meets  at home this season.

The Canes notched 11 wins on the second day of competition.

“It was a very good start for us,” coach Amy Deem said. “We’re still training through these meets, but I thought the effort was there.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...