Sports Briefs 3/24

Monique Albuquerque and her partner Clementina Riobueno won their match 8-4, helping to lead Miami to victory over Syracuse on Friday. Victoria McKaba // Contributing Photographer

Women’s tennis

Miami had a big weekend as it extended a long winning streak against two ACC opponents.

The No. 13 Hurricanes first took down Syracuse 7-0 at home on Friday, and then traveled to Winston-Salem, N.C., to face Wake Forest on Sunday. Miami won that battle easily, 6-1.

The women’s team improved to 14-2 overall, with a perfect 8-0 conference record. They will carry their 10-match winning streak into an April 5 matchup with North Carolina.

Men’s tennis

The Canes played arguably their best match of the season and earned a hard win over No. 18 Wake Forest on Saturday.

“I am so proud of the guys,” coach Mario Rincon said. ”They have worked so hard for this in practice and in their conditioning.”

Of note: Gabriel Flores cruised past Adam Lee 6-1, 6-0 and Omar Aly took care of No. 20 Romain Bogaerts 6-3, 7-6 (7-5) to secure the victory.

Track and field 

Miami turned in a strong performance at the Hurricane Invitational, the first of three track and field meets  at home this season.

The Canes notched 11 wins on the second day of competition.

“It was a very good start for us,” coach Amy Deem said. “We’re still training through these meets, but I thought the effort was there.”

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...