Show seniors some sympathy

The following is an open letter on behalf of the seniors on the staff of The Miami Hurricane:

Seniors: Think back to your days as a freshman. As a sophomore. As a junior. You’d look at the sleep-deprived seniors with disdain. You’d see the bags under their eyes and their lack of effort and wonder why they had gotten so … lazy.  And boring. And just plain sad.

As we write this letter, there are 46 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes and 53 seconds left until graduation at noon on May 9. If you calculate the amount of days remaining until classes end on April 25, there are approximately 32 days left.

The light at the end of the tunnel is near. Graduation is so close. Still, seniors, we have countless job applications to submit, graduate school decisions to make, tests to study for and papers to complete. Forty-six days seems like such a small amount of time to make decisions that will affect the rest of your life. Having to complete all these tasks, at this moment, seems like a form of cruel and unusual punishment. The end is just not close enough. We know how you feel … there are eight of us on this staff graduating on May 9.

When people ask us what we’re doing after graduation, we cringe. If we knew, we would probably be singing about it from the top of the Student Activities Center. So, please, stop asking us about our plans, lest you end up the topic of a BuzzFeed article.

Even though some seniors already have their plans squared away, some of us aren’t so lucky yet. Once we figure out all the details, we’ll be sure to send a memo by carrier pigeon to all parties involved. Rest assured, you’ll be the first person to get your letter. We know, you’re waiting with bated breath.

So, underclassmen and members of our fellow student organizations: Appreciate your graduating seniors. Have some sympathy. There’s a lot going on for us right now, and some of us may not want to discuss it yet. In a year or so, you’ll be in our shoes. Until then, be patient, and maybe karma will send you your very own underclassmen to help you pick up the slack next year.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...