Show seniors some sympathy

The following is an open letter on behalf of the seniors on the staff of The Miami Hurricane:

Seniors: Think back to your days as a freshman. As a sophomore. As a junior. You’d look at the sleep-deprived seniors with disdain. You’d see the bags under their eyes and their lack of effort and wonder why they had gotten so … lazy.  And boring. And just plain sad.

As we write this letter, there are 46 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes and 53 seconds left until graduation at noon on May 9. If you calculate the amount of days remaining until classes end on April 25, there are approximately 32 days left.

The light at the end of the tunnel is near. Graduation is so close. Still, seniors, we have countless job applications to submit, graduate school decisions to make, tests to study for and papers to complete. Forty-six days seems like such a small amount of time to make decisions that will affect the rest of your life. Having to complete all these tasks, at this moment, seems like a form of cruel and unusual punishment. The end is just not close enough. We know how you feel … there are eight of us on this staff graduating on May 9.

When people ask us what we’re doing after graduation, we cringe. If we knew, we would probably be singing about it from the top of the Student Activities Center. So, please, stop asking us about our plans, lest you end up the topic of a BuzzFeed article.

Even though some seniors already have their plans squared away, some of us aren’t so lucky yet. Once we figure out all the details, we’ll be sure to send a memo by carrier pigeon to all parties involved. Rest assured, you’ll be the first person to get your letter. We know, you’re waiting with bated breath.

So, underclassmen and members of our fellow student organizations: Appreciate your graduating seniors. Have some sympathy. There’s a lot going on for us right now, and some of us may not want to discuss it yet. In a year or so, you’ll be in our shoes. Until then, be patient, and maybe karma will send you your very own underclassmen to help you pick up the slack next year.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...