Show seniors some sympathy

The following is an open letter on behalf of the seniors on the staff of The Miami Hurricane:

Seniors: Think back to your days as a freshman. As a sophomore. As a junior. You’d look at the sleep-deprived seniors with disdain. You’d see the bags under their eyes and their lack of effort and wonder why they had gotten so … lazy.  And boring. And just plain sad.

As we write this letter, there are 46 days, 22 hours, 19 minutes and 53 seconds left until graduation at noon on May 9. If you calculate the amount of days remaining until classes end on April 25, there are approximately 32 days left.

The light at the end of the tunnel is near. Graduation is so close. Still, seniors, we have countless job applications to submit, graduate school decisions to make, tests to study for and papers to complete. Forty-six days seems like such a small amount of time to make decisions that will affect the rest of your life. Having to complete all these tasks, at this moment, seems like a form of cruel and unusual punishment. The end is just not close enough. We know how you feel … there are eight of us on this staff graduating on May 9.

When people ask us what we’re doing after graduation, we cringe. If we knew, we would probably be singing about it from the top of the Student Activities Center. So, please, stop asking us about our plans, lest you end up the topic of a BuzzFeed article.

Even though some seniors already have their plans squared away, some of us aren’t so lucky yet. Once we figure out all the details, we’ll be sure to send a memo by carrier pigeon to all parties involved. Rest assured, you’ll be the first person to get your letter. We know, you’re waiting with bated breath.

So, underclassmen and members of our fellow student organizations: Appreciate your graduating seniors. Have some sympathy. There’s a lot going on for us right now, and some of us may not want to discuss it yet. In a year or so, you’ll be in our shoes. Until then, be patient, and maybe karma will send you your very own underclassmen to help you pick up the slack next year.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...