Piling peer pressure ruins recent research

We often take the truth for granted when we read science news. Straightforward and forceful, the matter-of-fact headlines can be misleading when it comes to cutting-edge science – a soap opera filled with ambiguity, contradictions and even deception.

There’s a rising trend of published scientific research papers with findings that can’t be easily reproduced. In a related and recent controversy over making stem cells by dipping adult cells into acid, it took only a month for this scientific breakthrough to become a scandal.

This event reminds us that science is not the perfect process of unmasking truth, but rather a faulty human endeavor – biased and subject to peer pressure.

Earlier this year, Nature Magazine proclaimed, “Acid bath offers easy path to stem cells – Just squeezing or bathing cells in acidic conditions can readily reprogram them into an embryonic state.”

However, now the two papers by Haruko Obokata and co-authors that reported the possibility of these stimulus-triggered acquisition of pluripotency (STAP) cells have come under fire for allegations of scientific misconduct. Dipping adult cells into acid would drastically simplify the process of creating stem cells, but it has yet to be successfully replicated.

It would make sense that replicating the results would be difficult; it took Obokata herself many years to perfect the conditions. However, leading scientists are further questioning the validity of the study because of inaccuracies, inappropriately included figures and reports of plagiarism. One of the co-authors has already requested that the papers be retracted, which would only add to the tenfold increase in retractions science journals have seen this past decade.

Retractions are still rare, making up only 0.02 percent of published papers, but irreproducible results are slowly becoming the norm, according to researcher John Ioannidis. His highly cited 2005 paper, “Why most published research findings are false,” influenced even Nature to create a special “Challenges in Irreproducible Research” section.

As Ioannidis suggests, this usually happens not because of ill intentions, but because of understandable human factors. On a larger scale, the competition for funding and space in high-impact journals forces institutions and research groups to tailor their research to be more open to fundraising, more publishable.

Additionally, the livelihoods of scientists rest on their publications – a pressure students also feel, since being published makes applicants look more legitimate. These factors, along with the very human desire to do something important, push scientists to develop unusual hypotheses, which have a higher chance of being wrong.

As consumers and producers of science, we must realize that research is never just about the science. Money and interest direct scientific trends, which predictably leads to wasted resources and bad science. Yet we will never shed science of its human fallibility, for it is our very inability and lack of knowledge that motivated us to create science in the first place.

Louis Cai is a senior majoring in biology.

Louis Cai

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...