Minimum wage needs raise

Recently, President Barack Obama addressed a crowd at a fundraising event hosted at the Miami mansion of NBA legend Alonzo Mourning: “How do we make sure that folks who work hard and are taking responsibility for themselves and have dreams about something better for their kids – how do we make sure that hard work pays off?” According to the president, raising the minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10 is an important step toward achieving this goal.

While right-wing politicians advocate abolishing the minimum wage, the debate over its merits was settled decades ago. Since its creation in 1938, the minimum wage has been raised 29 times, including in 2007 by President George W. Bush. Every time, critics argued the legislation would hurt our economy and cost jobs. The fact that Americans are still having this debate is absurd.

Until the 1970s, increases in worker productivity have been matched by equal percentage increases in the minimum wage. Then conservative economic theory hijacked American politics, and wages have stagnated. Today, an American minimum wage worker earns 30 percent less than they would have in 1968. Had it continued to correlate with worker productivity, today’s minimum wage would be over $21.00.

Today, 3.8 million Americans – the population of Los Angeles – make at or below minimum wage. The stereotype that minimum wage only affects young people working summer jobs is false, as the number of teenagers that fill these jobs is dwindling. In 2013, these people saw their earnings drop in value by 12 percent due to inflation while the average CEO (whose earnings have increased by 875 percent since 1978 alone) got paid 12 percent more.

Politicians on both sides of the aisle understand the need for an increase. Wealthy conservative political activist Ron Unz is pushing for a $12 minimum wage in California. “Why should all taxpayers have to pay for massive hidden government subsidies?” he asks.

The massive subsidies he refers to are made to major corporations like McDonald’s and Walmart, which pay a majority of their employees the minimum wage.

Last year, employees at major fast-food chains received nearly $8 billion in taxpayer-funded welfare because their employers don’t pay them enough money to feed themselves. McDonald’s alone netted more than $7 billion in profits. So on top of allowing them to sell us inedible food, which ultimately is responsible for billions of dollars in public health care costs, Americans now pay their employees’ salaries. Clearly, these companies can afford to pay their workers more.

In the words of Franklin D. Roosevelt, “No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.”

More importantly, a small increase would mean more cash in the pockets of an estimated 27.8 million Americans, all of which would end up being pumped back into our struggling economy.

Matt Pontecorvo is a sophomore majoring in political science.

Matt Pontecorvo

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...