V.Online, V's Take

V.Online: Springbreakers or spring breakers?

Spring break. A time to dig your heels in the sand and stick your toes in the water. A time for shopping for seasonal bathing suits and giant hats, all for the sake of standing out in an otherwise overcrowded beach in Miami or Cancun.

We seem to forget, as we begin our breaks, that the likelihood of hooking up with someone is increased tenfold. We look forward to taking time off and partying with our friends but do we remember that there are ever-present opportunities for casual sex? Not really.

Which is why, when I went away for spring break this year, I was caught off guard. Picture this: A cruise with a few of your best girlfriends, infinite amounts of booze paid for by daddy’s credit card and single men. Single men everywhere.

What was supposed to be a girls’ weekend turned into a smorgasbord of dance parties, boozy beach days and hungover brunches. How was I supposed to be expected to control myself? It’s my last real spring break during college and I was determined to go out with a bang – or a few bangs.

I met this kid from some school up north and we hung out the entire trip. We sipped margaritas in Cancun and piña coladas in the Bahamas, and we did some other things in more private places, that may or may not have included the Caribbean Sea.

So I ask you: On your vacation were you just a springbreaker or a spring breaker? Are the headboards of your hotel rooms slightly damaged from your stay? Because if the walls of that tiny room could talk, they’d be saying things to the tune of “50 Shades of Grey.”

Nevertheless, while my friends were all happy for me, I was definitely not the most popular member of the #SB2K14 crew. I kicked my best friend out of our room at one point and she had to stay with two other girls from our trip. She hated me because she woke up with a kink in her neck … oops.

But you know what, carpe freaking diem. And I advise you all to do the same. Live your life and have sex with a stranger in the Bahamas. You’ll never see them ever again, so what’s the harm in a little roll in the hay?

Be safe, be smart and don’t get pregnant. As long as those three things are squared away, you’ll have nothing to worry about.

Enjoy your 20s, millenials, we might as well be as selfish as everyone already thinks we are.

Advice Columnist

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...