Sports Briefs 3/20

Men’s tennis

Miami defeated Wisconsin on Monday behind strong performances from its senior singles players. Omar Aly, Gabriel Flores and Diego Soto all won their matches after the Canes clinched the doubles point, so Miami notched a quick 4-0 win.

“Wisconsin is a great program,” said Rincon. “They rattled us, but we were able to stay on track. We knew it was going to be a tough match. I am proud of the team.”

The Hurricanes host Wake Forest at 4 p.m. Friday, followed by N.C. State at noon Sunday.

Women’s basketball

The Miami women’s basketball team missed out on the Big Dance this year, but there is still a chance for the Canes to make some postseason noise.

The WNIT kicks off Thursday as Miami hosts Stetson for a first-round matchup at 7 p.m. Despite missing the NCAA Tournament this season, it is the fifth straight year the Miami women will play in the postseason.

With a win Thursday at the BankUnited Center, the Hurricanes will face either South Florida or North Carolina A&T in the second round.

Women’s tennis

The Canes won their eighth straight match, 6-1 over Princeton, on Wednesday. Miami has risen to No. 13 in the nation, and will look to continue its hot streak at home at 11 a.m. Friday against Syracuse.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...