Campus should consider convenience

The Writing Center moved to LaGorce House near the freshman dorms during the fall 2012 semester. The Toppel Career Center re-opened behind Pavia Garage this semester. The Student Health Center will eventually make its way across campus to the border of Ponce de Leon Boulevard when the new UHealth facility opens in 2016.

Intentional or not, there seems to be a trend of decentralizing offices on campus. As the university pushes these departments farther from the heart of campus, a simple errand becomes more and more of a struggle. When the Miami heat and humidity hits, walking across campus can be downright exhausting. The Miami Hurricane proposes expanding the Hurry Cane shuttle service to include convenient access around campus for both residents and commuters.

Otherwise, when essential services are moved to the outskirts of campus, it discourages students from actually making the trek over to the office, and these services can become under-utilized. Is that resume critique really worth the humid walk over to Toppel? Do any sophomores, juniors or seniors take advantage of the Writing Center? How long can a student survive without giving in and getting a new Cane Card?

While we cannot expect to receive everything in neat packages, a centralized location for campus services is crucial to meeting students’ needs. For example, the Study Abroad Office moved closer to the center of campus near the Office of Financial Assistance. Odds are that students will visit the Study Abroad Office and then walk next door to consider their financial situation for that trip.

The University of Miami as a private institution should base its decisions entirely on customer satisfaction – aka student satisfaction.

Part of choosing the right college campus is looking at the school’s resources. Prospective students should consider accessibility and usability as the most important factors when choosing a university, aside from evaluating academics.

Of course, the campus cannot quickly change how accessible certain services are. It’s also not likely that the decentralization trend can be easily reversed.

For the departments located along Ponce, especially like Cane Card services at the McKnight Building next to Titanic Brewery, it’s a hassle to walk or drive out to the main street. The administration should take another look at the existing shuttle routes and revise them to account for the changes to campus that have been made recently.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...